1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mesaplayer83, Dec 8, 2017.

1. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I have a mid 80s MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special that came to me with active EMG pickups in it... I'm considering selling that pickup set and putting this bass back to passive - any suggestions for favorite passive P/J pickup sets?

FWIW, I mostly play rock and country - and am a Seymour-Duncan fan... I have SPB-1s in one bass, and QPs in another - by choice, if that helps any... I also have Fender pups in both my Jazz basses - one has SCNs in it, the other has stockers from an '08 American Standard Jazz...

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Geezer Butlers.
    Done.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    A Classic SPB-1 with an Apollo Jazz will give you a vintage sound that completely hum-cancelling.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    They are definitely in the running - thanks...

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I'll look into that - thanks for the suggestion

6. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Geezers are hum cancelling when used separately as well. They come in a solder-free kit complete with pots, but you can use your own existing wiring harness and just use the pickups and solder traditionally if you prefer. That's what I did.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  7. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I would definitely be doing something a bit different with those, since I intend to keep the 3 way pup switch and TBX tone control of the Jazz Bass Special... I have a minor background in electronics, so soldering isn't a problem...

8. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I would use their supplied leads that clip onto the pups themselves. Then, you can remove the plastic solder-less connectors on the other end of the leads by pressing a pin into a tiny hole in the connector and sliding it off. That reveals a crimped-on ferrule you can solder plain wire onto and slip a piece of shrink tubing over that joint, or you can just snip off the connectors if you wish. But either way, use their connectors to connect to the pups themselves.

9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I wouldn't be soldering directly to the pups themselves - thanks for the tip, though...

10. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Smithtown, NY
    Aguilars on mine with a series /parallel volume switch, blend, two tone pots. Sounds awesome!
    Aguilar Amplification: Bass Pedals, Bass Pickups, Bass Preamps, Bass Amplifiers, and Bass Speaker Cabinets