P/J tone vs. J/J tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I have Jazz basses and I have a Precision bass, but have never had a P/J bass.

I would imagine there's a differant flavor to the sound of a P/J vs a J/J setup but can't quite hear it in my head.

I'm curious about this. Care to fill me in?

2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I have owned two Jazz basses, and five Precisions, plus a precision that was modded with a J pickup. Stacking pots replaced the standard two P pots, so not sure if that had any bearing on it or not, and the J was *really* close to the bridge, 70s style, and I found the J pickup really really weak in output. Like, when both pickups were on full you could barely tell the J was there, except the P pickup was weaker. I typically just played it with the J turned off as a result, until I figured - why not just sell this and get a P bass? Same when playing my Jazzes - I would typically dial out the bridge pickup anyway. YMMV...

3. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    You get the nice fundamental thump of the P pickup with the throaty-ness of the J. Plus everything in between with the blend knob.

4. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    I own a PJ and for me, it's like a normal Jazz with a lot more girth when blended together,

it's very versatile. you can solo the P, blend them together, solo the J, anything in between.

but note that for it to be 60cylce hum free, the J pup should be humcancelling too.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021