Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p/j vs. soapbar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve724, Dec 2, 2004.

1. steve724

steve724 Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    what is the major difference between having a p/j pickup setup vs 2 soapbars, and for that matter how about 2 j,s :confused:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you mean sound difference, becasue the physical differences are pretty obvious.

IME a P/J offers tones similiar to a precision (P solod) or a growly precision (using jazz as well). Basses with 2 soapbars tend to not nail the P bass tone as well, nor just a plain jazz tone, but in fact offer basically anything between.

3. I used to think that those big sexy bart soapbars somehow meant big sexy tone. So not true.
    It is just a wider aperature, as somebody described.

I still think the P or JJ or PJ smokes the MM and soapbar styles. Besides more pleasing and booty shaking, it sounds more harmonically complex to me.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Meh, i tend to like the tone of any Bartolini pickups, including soapbars.

5. well i didn't say i did not like them. sorry if it seemed that way. I had a bart soapbar on a passive fretless 5 linc luthier bass. they were . It sounded great but I keep thinking the bass would have sounded better with J pups. I will say I do not like MM pickups. But those are the only ones I do not like. Well, I hate piezos too.

I have no knowledge of those lightwaves or some of those non conventional ones. Would love to hear them.

I have been playing since 1988 and have just settled on what works for me.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

5 & 6's don't know about. For 4's, JJ config is most flexible by far by virtue of the fact there have been more made than probably all other pup shapes put together. More for sale, etc. Endless options for pup swaps. Soaps probabably the least, wierd shapes with few replacement options. PJ's you have lots of options but they don't come up for sale as often as P's and J's seperately.

J's and soaps can have anything in the housing, it's just a shape.

7. well I am sticking to my guns and am going to say a trad single coil sounds different than a soap configured as a single coil.

I don't know the theory but it may have something to do with the pup getting its signal from a very narrow and focused part of the string with distinct hammonics as oppossed to unfocused area of strings with multiple harmonics.

And if I am wrong, then my back up argument is that cosmetically, J pups look better than soaps.