Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J wiring help needed.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've search and haven't found too much information on this subject. I'm building a bass with warmoth parts that will have Sadowsky P/J pickups. I'm looking for options of how to wire these things together for the best passive tone. I'll eventually buy an outbourd pre-amp instead of buying something to go on-board.

How would you wire this bass? I'm leaning toward 2 volumes and 2 tones. If I were to do this, could I do stacked knobs so it would still fit on a standard P pickguard? Any help or information you can provide would be much appreciated. I am definitely an electronics amateur, but I do have some soldering experience (I won't torch the bass). I've removed and installed pre-amps, but never selected pots and worked from a design.

thanks!

2. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Alright, I'm an idiot. I missed the bill lawrence p/j thread. However, I would still like your input on this subject. Thanks!

3. Why two tones? I can't see any reason for it. Standard parallel volume volume tone is fine (as per the wiring diagrams you get on the Fender and Duncan sites).

Sadowsky pickups are sweet, and best finished with a Sadowsky preamp.

4. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    After doing some more reading, and getting a nice link to a diagram from Nino, I have come to agree with your statement above. I'm going to do the vol/vol/tone, where the vol/vol are concentric. I would love to do a sadowsky pre-amp on-board, but I doubt there will be enough room and I don't want to fork out the dough quite yet (around 200 bones). My project is already too expensive. Eventually, I may consider an out-board pre-amp instead, but not any time soon. My amp's pre-amp will have to do :)