1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FangusKlot, Apr 29, 2015.

1. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    I want to try my P and J in series. Can anyone help me?

This is how shes wired currently. But with 500k pots. std_p_j_bass.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Unsolder the black wire from the neck pickup to the volume pot's case as with the white wire from the jazz volume's middle wire lug on its volume pot.
    Tie these two together.

FangusKlot likes this.
  3. JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.

Stefan Verbeeck and FangusKlot like this.
  4. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    Now im confused lol. will both of your suggestions sound the same? Lovethatbass' sounds easier since im not sure im going to keep her wired in series, I just wanted to try it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    So should I try the first one, then if I like it do the second one?

6. They are different. The first post is a description of series wiring with a master volume. The diagram I posted makes use of independent volume controls, since you posted a VVT diagram to start with. The master volume method is probably going to be much more practical, however. I would suggest that you use a series/parallel switch, rather than permanent wiring, though.

As a side note, if you go the first route, you don't just put the pickups in series. For the best performance, you should also wire the volume pot properly. Use standard P bass wiring.
    Wiring Diagram

FangusKlot likes this.
  7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Try it the way I mentioned and if you like it use linemans suggestion and if you don't it is easier to put back

FangusKlot likes this.
  8. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    Swuhttuhmsayin

Thank you to you both!!!!!

9. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    ???

Also I dont see how that wiring diagram is relevant, since I have a P as well as a J with VVT wiring; the diagram is a P with VT.

No offense, I'm a noob.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    It doesnt

FangusKlot likes this.
  11. You wire the bass exactly like a P bass, down to every last detail.

12. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    You posted two different wiring diagrams. Im guessing the first one is the most relevant to my bass since its two pickups, like mine.

13. As I said, one is for master volume, and the other is for independent volumes. It's up to you to choose how many volume pots you want to use.

FangusKlot likes this.
  14. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    FangusKlot, I now see what line6man was showing you on a P bass diagram. When you wire 2 Jazz pickups in series you are basically wiring it like the 2 sections of a P bass pickup which is in reality 2 pickups tied in series but only using one volume control like a P bass would. That is one option. A second option is to wire it using both volume controls in the series circuit and a third option which you are not wanting to do is to be able to switch between the two Jazz pickups in Parallel as they typically are and series. The simplest is to have one volume control the two pickups that are wired in series with each other (like a P bass would be). The only caveat to this is that it leaves a hole in the control plate where the bridge volume used to be. The first thing I would do is temporarily wire them in series to see if you even want that and then if you do, decide whether you want to use one volume control or two. Let's stop quibbling about this and just try it first, ok?

FangusKlot likes this.
  15. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    Thanks for clearing that up. You've been very helpful. :)

16. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    I fully understand these wirings now thanks a bunch. :) I might just leave a "dummy" knob if I end up liking the sound of both pups together. Time to bust out the iron!

Once again I thank you both.