P/J/Z/Q/R~ pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Um. You know when you say a P/J pickup setup?

What's that mean?

Someone told me that -

P = Midsection
    J = One at bridge

But I'm mentally retarded today so I might've misundestood. And what is it when theres one by the neck?

2. P = A precission bass type split coil pick up.
    J = A jazz bass style single coil pickup.

Kinda like this: [​IMG]
  3. Oh and one by the neck means just that: there is a pickup close to the neck.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    dangit Spanky :p

"P" , "J" , and "P+J" wiring/pictograms (courtesy Seymour Duncan)

5. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, Ill try my best to explain this.

A P (precision) pickup and a J (jazz) pickup are both totally different pickups and they both sound totally different.

The Term P/J only has to do with the type of pickup used. I have seen a reversed P/J set up used on some basses (J/P??????) But the letters P and J only have to do with the type of pickup used.
    J/P/J You can see here that this bass has three pick ups. 2 J(azz) and one P(recision) So it would probably be considered a J/P/J setup. Usually pickups are listed from the neck end to the bridge end of the bass.

Hope that helps. If anyone can do better feel free.
  6. Muchas gracias. :cool:

Edit - Argh you beat me! Lol.

So there's 2 types of pickups.

J and P. I was thinking it was where they were placed on the neck LOL.

So it's only JP? That's it? What about a humbucker? H?
  7. There is also Music Man (MM) style:

8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    oh that's it Spank-dude! :p :D

"Soapbars" ?

Not all Soapbars are Humbuckers and vice-versa.
    Also MM and Ric replacements...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...don't forget piezos, Lightwaves, etc.

Welcome to TalkBass :)
  9. that this is gorgeous! i have to know what it is, and where I can get one (pref'ly with a maple board)!

10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Boy, I sure wish someone would write an FAQ that answered questions like this one.
  11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  12. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    < "Usually pickups are listed from the neck end to the bridge end of the bass."

Most US manufacturers, such as Fender, actually list pups and switching starting at the bridge/lead end. Europeans (and confused Americans, like Warmoth) generally talk about things backwards.

“P/J” is a user term that became a term used by aftermarket pup makers, and could be seen as an exception to the rule. However, in this instance, it refers to how this configuration came into popularity: on P-Basses being modified with an additional J pickup. The “P” listed first, thus refers to the initial and predominant bass body style, and the predominant pickup. When considering “MM/J”, you will see that the user term now lists the bridge pup first, because it is generally considered predominant, again with the J being additional, and like all rules, there are exceptions.

It gets very confusing when talking 3-plus-way switching positions when folks come together from opposite schools of thought.
  13. Yeah, I'd be honored if this thread was included in the FAQ...

...lol I could finally amount to something...
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    nyuk nyuk nyuk ... he's looking at the fretboard. How bourgoise!