Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 2, 2002.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    is it possible to have a P/J PU config on a five string? i guess im asking are there any five string p pickups?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    any examples?

(im just pissed off that Europe spectors have humbuckers on the 5str)

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  5. Yes. In fact there is a "reverse P" option on some P/J basses that is reported to improve the clarity of the B string.

Go here and look at the options:
    www.sadowsky.com

Jeff

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender makes a five-string P-pup as well. It's on their five-string P. They should be available from Fender dealers.

7. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I didn't see that at first. Both Bartolini and EMG make "soapbar" pickups that have a P configuration inside. EMG also makes them that have a J-type single coil inside, so you could have a P-J setup using soapbars that might fit in those humbucker routs.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    neato thanks

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    fender am deluxe P-5. i believe there is a mexican version as well with a single coil J pickup

10. The only 5 string P that fender makes w/ a P Pickup is the 5-String P Deluxe... and thats P/H. There's a Squier 5 string P, but thats just 2 modified Jazz Pickups on a P Body with a P Pickguard.

11. Basslax,
    If you were to buy a Euro 5 string, I'd suggest you buy buy the EMG 40J pickup and replace the neck pickup with it and leave the EMG 40DC in place in the bridge position. That way you get the full range sound from the bridge position and get the mid range punch from the neck position. That way you can have it all!