Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P / Jazz project advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by acrofts, Mar 26, 2005.

1. acrofts

acrofts

Apr 16, 2004
    I am inexperienced with bass building and would like some helpful info for my first project. I would like to use a P-bass body with a fretless jazz neck, an added Jazz pickup at the bridge with passive J-bass controls (volume, volume, tone) and maybe a pickup selector switch. My question is about the pickguard- can I just drill the extra control knob holes in the P-bass guard, or is there anyone who sells them with more than 2 control knob holes? Are there any issues with putting the J neck on the P body? Also, are there any useful sites on the web dedicated to putting bass together (routing, pickup wiring, etc)? I would appreciate any input that you more experienced project builders could give me.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, you can always drill extra holes. Recently, I added a switch to my P-bass. Instead of drilling a new hole in the guard, I moved the jack to the side of the body and installed the switch in the hole where the jack was.

You shouldn't have any issues with a J neck in a P body. People do it all the time. I know Fender and Warmoth necks are interchangable, but it may be different with other manufactures.

As for sites, there is always this forum (the Talkbass "Luthiers Corner")! I'm not trying to promote anything, but I've always found the information I need at this forum. There are also some books floating around that offer good pointers to guitar/bass building. I suggest Melvin Hysock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar," which can be found at StewMac.com.

Any thought on what kind of finish you'll use? Solid color or natural (transparent)? I hear good things about tung oil. It's easy to apply -- wipe on, wipe off! let us know how things are going and post some pics if you can. We're always oogling over everyones bass(s).

I bet Hambone or someone will chime in any minute. :D

3. acrofts

acrofts

Apr 16, 2004
    I am considering sonic blue with a mint green guard (to match my 'beloved '62 P) but I also really like black with a red tortiseshell guard. Let me know if you have any other cool suggestions. :bassist:

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I like the sonic blue with mint green guard -- it looks very 60's surf-ish! Suggestions? Well, I'm a stickler for natural (transparent) finishes, but I've always liked the vintage look of black, ivory, or sunburst with red tortiseshell. What about sonic blue and white pearloid?