Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J's that are good for slap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by invisiman, May 8, 2005.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I went searching for the old P/J Experiment by Dr. Dimento, but I couldn't find it, so I'm sure you guys can help me out by pointing me in the direction of a passive set of PJ's taht would be apt for "Funkifying the situation" ;)

Any and all help appreciated :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's so many variables that blanket recommendations are difficult.

Having said that, the P/J I had with the slap sound I liked the most was a Fender Hot Rod Precision with EMG P/J set.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Do you have any samples of that sound, or songs that you've heard that have a comparable slap sound?

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've heard Basslines in the PJ set-up, the quarter pounder I believe, sounded fantastic.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    on the talkbass sampler cd, theres a track by my band Mimi Ferocious - a cover of 'I feel love' where that bass can be heard.
    If you're not a supporting talkbass member, you can also get it on iTunes.

6. I'm not a slap player but my EMG P/J set seem like they would be nice for slap. They have boatloads of high end zing.

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Do you ever find the high end to be harsh? Or just right?

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The most beefy and thumpin slap tones I've heard have come from Spectors and Foderas equipped with EMG P/Js. Probably gonna want to tame the high end if you've got maple or ash body.

-Eric.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Roger Sadowsky's P/J's slap just fine.