1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-lovers, tell me of your five string P's . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass2, Feb 29, 2008.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Lulls, Sadowskys, etc. . . .

I'm a pretty hardcore P-man, my faves in my quiver are a US Glaub that I've had customized to a degree, and a early 90's Fender that is killer. Both with Labella flats. Both 4 string of course.

I'm thinking a fiver P with Chromes (maybe a PJ) could bring me back around to digging a fiver(and maybe be my ultimate one-stop bass????)

Can a fiver P still satisfy a die-hard P-man? "How's the B?"

P.S. I should add, that the only fiver I've had (and still do) for any extended use, is a US L2500. GREAT bass, but not P enough for me . . ..

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    im soon to jump into a PJ5 as well so im subscribed..

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Ditto

4. Fender American Standard P-Bass V. It's sweet!

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles

Ya got one? What say ye on it? What strings are you running, and how does it feel, etc.?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you check out an older thread titled something like "Fender discontinued the ADPV!" you'll see much discussion and love for P5's. Also Fender just came out with a new passive P5, which also elicited a bunch of drooling on the forum. Whenever somebody posts a Sadowsky P5, it causes excitement. I've got a custom P5 on order from Valenti.

The B will be variable just as with any other kind of bass- it depends on the strings chosen, the pickup, the specific pieces of wood in a given bass, and whatever other voodoo differentiates one bass from another. The B on my old ADPV was excellent, deep and strong and fat. Not as "focused" as a couple of other B's I've experienced, but very nice sounding.

Chromes and Elixirs are my favorite strings for these beasts.

7. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I have been waiting for YEARS for G&L to come out with a 5-string SB-2 model, as that is my favorite playing 4-string bass that I own.....but they haven't:rollno:
    I just grabbed a second hand Valenti J5 bass a few weeks back and like it a LOT :hyper: so much that I am leaning towards ordering a Valenti 5-string P-bass sometime this summer;)

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I think in the very near future I am also going with Valenti for my PJ5..

9. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    All very interesting. I'm sitting here with my lone fiver, the hardy L2500, and rediscovering it a bit==what a solid beast(but my eyes are wandering towards my Glaub . .).
    It's weird, unplugged my L2500 sounds and feels that way I'd want (as a P kinda guy), but amplified it's just not direct-enough sounding. Hence the OP . . .

10. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Direct enough? Please elaborate.

11. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal

I owned this PJ 5 Valenti and let me tell you, it was SICK!!!! I wish I never sold it.

PDR_0287.

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Something about the "focus" of the tone, for lack of a better term.
    I bought my L2500 new way back after reading numerous glowing reviews and in particular the Bass Player (or wa it Bass Guitar?) mag one stating "if you're looking for a five string p-bass . . .etc. etc.)
    Granted, this was before anybody was making actual P-fivers.
    Don't get me wrong--the L2500 is an awesome bass no doubt, but it doesn't sound like a P(but can get pretty close. . .)

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Nino has a great PJ5 in production. Have a look:

http://www.upcomingvalentibasses.blogspot.com/

If I hadn't got a Sandberg PM coming in next week, I would have bought that one already!

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'll let you know how mine sounds in (maybe) 4 more months. Alleva Coppolo KPB-5 on order.

Dan K.

15. My American Std P 5 was delivered Thursday. That evening, I checked the string height and intonation, then put it to work last night. It kills. I am completely happy with this bass. It has P tone for days, a great B string and is great a live band setting. I played it last night with the stock Fender rounds, but when they get a little worn and/or grungy, I'm putting Chromes on it. This may be the last bass I will ever buy. I ordered it from MF, and with the 20% discount, it cost me $969 to my door. It is the Olympic White with Tort PG and Rosewood FB. The quality on this bass is second to none. Frets are smoothe and the rolled edge feels great. The neck pocket is tight, the finish is without flaw and the looks are stunning. Biggest surprise? The weight. I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels as light as a feather compared the the ADJ5. My guitarist could not believe the weight either. It's lighter than his '80 American Strat; by a good bit. My ADJV only got to see one set last night. The P ruled the other 3.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My first 5-string P-bass was a Lull: quilted maple over swamp ash, rosewood board, passive Fralin PJ pickups. It was a beautifully built bass... it didn't weigh much, and sounded nice. The main thing that bothered me was the narrow string spacing... it was 17.5 or 18mm.

I sold the Lull and got a Sadowsky NYC P5. That bass is my #1. It sounds more modern than a traditional Fender, but I can get old school punch out of it.

I then added a pair of Benavente 51 model basses. These are interesting takes on the P-bass. I recommend them for those who don't want to fork over the $$ for a Sadowsky. I would also recommend them to 5 string P-bassers who want a big chunky neck profile. It's not too chunky for me... I dig it!

Benavente 51 model (passive with soapbar), and Sadowsky NYC P5:
    l_24c67d07f85baeaa509ed452c01075ce.

Benavente 51 model with hot rod paint. It has J-style pickups and 3 band preamp:
    [​IMG]

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There's been some good news this year for us 5-string P-bassers. One item is that Fender has come out with a passive P5, and the second is that Roger Sadowsky will offer a Metro P5 sometime this year. According to Roger, the Metro P5 will have the PJ config, and of course will have the famous Sadowsky preamp.

18. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Just got my fender deluxe P 5 and I love it, B string is nice and firm, no fret buzz. I'm probably going to switch the bridge out for a badass though. Here's a pic.

Oh yea, the bass is Green, not blue, for some reason transparent colors don't like my camera

IMG_0718.

19. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I can't look :rollno: my checking account told me so:bawl:

20. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I've got a Lull P5 wearing Labella flats and it does the P thang in spades. I also have a Fender American P5 on order, due in on 4/10 or so. Passive is the only way to got for a Precision, as far as I am concerned.

[​IMG]