1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P + MM 5 string. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Waabs, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've got a 5 string G&L neck that I'm making a body for and am considering putting in a Bartolini P in the neck and a Bartolini MM in bridge. Does this sound like a good idea? General opinions?

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i think a P and a RioGrande Powerbucker or somethign similar, something that you can coil tap the real pup to get a good P+J sound to it, or switch to full on and cut the P to get a nice funky MM type sound.

3. bluzmakr

bluzmakr

Nov 20, 2003
    What would you use for the p-style pup? Bartolini? Sadowsky? I don't think anyone else makes a 5-string p-bass pup. The sadowsky comes in a set with a j for $300. Thats a bit steep.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've got a Bart P in my 5-string Frankenbass. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Did I mention that I like it a lot? I'm using a Basslines MM5 in the bridge position.

This bass is a work in progress. It started out with Volume only, and I've now wired it V/V/T. Next phase will be active electronics (probably 2-band Bart pre). After that, I'll replace the Bassline p/u.

I realy love the sound of this bass, even as a passive instrument. The Bart P gives it a decent old-school tone with treble rolled back and cuts fair with treble up.

Not sure what the Bart P runs price wise, but probably in the neighborhood of $125.00. The Sadowsky might be a better pickup, but I'd recommend the Bart in a minute!

Hope this helps!

dcr

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't do 5's so I'm not familiar with your pup options, apparently, for P's, it's very slim pickings. But having bought lot's of different 4 strings pups of various configurations, from a practical standpoint, you might give some thought to installing a neck pup configuration that maximizes your options - whatever that might be for 5's. I've probably had about 30 sets of pups and I found one set for sure and maybe two or three sets I really like. If I only had two pups that would fit the bill, there's no way I would route a bass for that configuration. Even if you knew you liked a given pup, the acoustic properties of a given bass can change that. Unless a 5 string P routing will fit within the confines of an MM 5 then you're going to be stuck if you're not satisfied - unless you throw a custom pickguard over a reroute.

Personally, I'm a J tone guy but I like a good P sound and I haven't ran across a P yet I would use alone, which to me is the main appeal for having one. That's with Barts, Dimarzio, and SD so far. I've got a Fender coming so I'll find one eventually. So far, I've gotten better P tone out of some J's than a P. In fact a good P tone - but I want to find it in a P pup. I've also gotten a good P tone out of a Carvin MM pup set in bridge position (closer to bridge than standard MM) in an acoustically dark bass.

Another thought if you're really up for a P pup and want to get a little crazy, to my knowledge, the only thing that makes a 5 string pup such is that it's wider. I see no reason why you couldn't just take a 4 string P and spread them to cover 5. You're outside strings are normally only covered by a single pup on a 4 so what would it matter if it were 3 strings instead of 2. And there are lots of 4 string P's out there. And yeh you have the wrong number of poles in a 4 with poles but, aside from moving them, you can be off considerably and it will still pick the strings up fine - ie Ken Smith and Fralin J45's for 4 or 5 string basses. And once you get one set to work, other 4 P's would work as well. Probably would look wierd but you could get an idea of that by just laying them out.

You could also throw a bridge with lateral adjustment to lend some flexibility for string width. I have Schallers on all my basses since I might have an MM in the bass one time and the next a set of Rics or EBO.

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Bill calls his offering the p 4,6. His reason behind the name is that it can be used on four to six-stringed basses. The pole pieces will only line up normally (one pole on either side of each string) on a sixer. I have one on a four string mexican Fender. It is a very good sounding pickup and very reasonably priced. Tone? Fat & clear, no mud that I can hear.
    Ken

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually it wasn't Fralin but Lawrence I was thinking of - those I heard about from Dharmabass. A pair of Smith J45's I have. There's not many 9 pole pups around but I ran across another set of 9's on ebay the other day by another manufacturer - Fender or Dimarzio come to mind.

By the way, are those Lawrence pups single's? The Smiths are stacked HB's. Don't remember much about them but there's a review on them at Dimento's J pup experiment if you're interested.

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I think they are single coil but am not positive. Ken