1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-MM setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jul 26, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There are lots of basses out there with the J-MM configuration out there, and more with the P-J style, but what about the P-MM? I'm thinking about upgrading my P-bass, but think I want to do something different. I don't really like the P sound, but maybe with a Badass II and a Moses Graphite neck, I'll be happy with it.
    Anyways, back on track (it's late, sorry), do any of y'all have experience with basses with the P-MM setup? If so, what did/do you think? Was it active or passive?
    Thanks.

Edited because I hit the wrong key, and it posted before I was finished.

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Exactly what are you saying? You don't like any pickup formations!?:rolleyes:

3. it'd probaly be ridiculously punchy that's for sure. it wouldn't sound too bad though.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I actually own a really crappy Korean bass with a P-MM pickup configuration. It's a Moridira Hurricane EXB-04, I think, and it's the most disgusting salmon-pink color. Definitely a hair-band bass. It's really punchy for such a cheap bass, though. The magnets are exposed, so if you happen to hit one while playing hard enough, a really distinct audible slap comes out. It just sits in a corner nowadays, though. I considered spending some dough and having it fixed up to be a good bass, but there's so many things that have to be done that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Damnit, I forgot who, but someone on here posted a site with their P-MM pickup P-bass. It looked incredibly sexy.:D Don't be afraid to try stuff. I'm working on a P-bass with two MM humbuckers.

6. The P-MM config is one of the top choices for the bass I'm building. I love bothe sounds seperate, so haveing both optionas at my fingertips, and being able to solo each sound, would be a sweet deal.

I say go for it!

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Jean-Luc Moscato, a french Luthier (and friend)offers this pu configuration for a long time.

Moscato's web site

Sound's pretty cool!

JP

8. doesnt Fender make an American P-bass Deluxe w/ the P-MM arrangement?

What companies sell basses with the J-MM arrangement? I've only seen Seymour Duncan basses with that setup.

9. talkbass user "Gustomatic" had an All Parts P bass made with that configuration. do a search under his name and see what he said about it.

10. My Fodera has Duncan dual coils that are placed where a P and an MM would be. It makes the bass sound less modern, which I like, but it also puts the pickups really close together. If you position the pickups where they would be on their respective basses (the P pickup where it would be on a P Bass, and the MM where it would be on an MM), this will always happen.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd like to hear it with the P pickup in it's normal spot and the MM pickup put closer to the bridge - like with the front coil where the bridge pickup would be on a J bass. the dolphins MM pickup is right on the bridge and it sounds great.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Good eye. I didn't even notice the difference in the position of the P pickup. But I'm not really a Fender buff anyway.

14. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i love how fender spends god knows how many hours Researching and Developing pickup placement, and all we want is to change it....

I agree though.. i think the problem is that the P and MM locations, if they were both in the right spot, would overlap, so either the P has to go closer to the neck or the MM goes closer to the bridge....

but the sterling/SR5 pickup is about 1/4" closer to the neck than the standard stingray, so who knows what we're talking about here.

15. My main bass is one with a P-MM setup. i'm really stoked on it. i'm a nut and had it wired passive with only one volume knob. no tone, no blend.. all wide open. best thing i've played. i get the big rub-a-dub up front by the neck and the punchy bright tone by the bridge. what more could i want? now that i run through 2 4x10's and an ampeg B-4r i can finally feel the nuances of the bass and pickup placement. my favorite hand position (i'm not a knob twiddler) is right behind the P pickup in front of the MM.. such a sweet tone. oh yeah, it's a Bartolini P pickup, and a basslines MM pickup.. here's a photo.. sorry about the angle of the photo, don't hurt yer neck..

16. the reason i did it this way was because i wanted a SPECIFIC tone. i can't remember the last time i needed to change my tone so drastically in a set that it required knob twiddling, so i went for the sound i needed from the bottom up.. from the angle it looks like the pickups are close together, but they're far enough apart to make a diffrence with hand positioning. it's a great tone though, i wouldn't change a thing..

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't taken any measurements, but after many years of playing both I'd wager you are absolutely correct.

That said, I'd love to have a P/MM even if spacing wasn't exact. Given a choice, I'd probably leave the MM as is and slide the P over. Then again, the difference might not be significant either way.