P-MM setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jul 26, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There are lots of basses out there with the J-MM configuration out there, and more with the P-J style, but what about the P-MM? I'm thinking about upgrading my P-bass, but think I want to do something different. I don't really like the P sound, but maybe with a Badass II and a Moses Graphite neck, I'll be happy with it.
    Anyways, back on track (it's late, sorry), do any of y'all have experience with basses with the P-MM setup? If so, what did/do you think? Was it active or passive?

Edited because I hit the wrong key, and it posted before I was finished.
  2. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Exactly what are you saying? You don't like any pickup formations!?:rolleyes:
  3. it'd probaly be ridiculously punchy that's for sure. it wouldn't sound too bad though.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I actually own a really crappy Korean bass with a P-MM pickup configuration. It's a Moridira Hurricane EXB-04, I think, and it's the most disgusting salmon-pink color. Definitely a hair-band bass. It's really punchy for such a cheap bass, though. The magnets are exposed, so if you happen to hit one while playing hard enough, a really distinct audible slap comes out. It just sits in a corner nowadays, though. I considered spending some dough and having it fixed up to be a good bass, but there's so many things that have to be done that it probably wouldn't be worth it.
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Damnit, I forgot who, but someone on here posted a site with their P-MM pickup P-bass. It looked incredibly sexy.:D Don't be afraid to try stuff. I'm working on a P-bass with two MM humbuckers.
  6. The P-MM config is one of the top choices for the bass I'm building. I love bothe sounds seperate, so haveing both optionas at my fingertips, and being able to solo each sound, would be a sweet deal.

I say go for it!
  7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Jean-Luc Moscato, a french Luthier (and friend)offers this pu configuration for a long time.

Moscato's web site

Sound's pretty cool!

8. doesnt Fender make an American P-bass Deluxe w/ the P-MM arrangement?

What companies sell basses with the J-MM arrangement? I've only seen Seymour Duncan basses with that setup.
  9. talkbass user "Gustomatic" had an All Parts P bass made with that configuration. do a search under his name and see what he said about it.
  10. My Fodera has Duncan dual coils that are placed where a P and an MM would be. It makes the bass sound less modern, which I like, but it also puts the pickups really close together. If you position the pickups where they would be on their respective basses (the P pickup where it would be on a P Bass, and the MM where it would be on an MM), this will always happen.
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd like to hear it with the P pickup in it's normal spot and the MM pickup put closer to the bridge - like with the front coil where the bridge pickup would be on a J bass. the dolphins MM pickup is right on the bridge and it sounds great.
  12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Good eye. I didn't even notice the difference in the position of the P pickup. But I'm not really a Fender buff anyway.
  13. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i love how fender spends god knows how many hours Researching and Developing pickup placement, and all we want is to change it....

I agree though.. i think the problem is that the P and MM locations, if they were both in the right spot, would overlap, so either the P has to go closer to the neck or the MM goes closer to the bridge....

but the sterling/SR5 pickup is about 1/4" closer to the neck than the standard stingray, so who knows what we're talking about here.
  14. My main bass is one with a P-MM setup. i'm really stoked on it. i'm a nut and had it wired passive with only one volume knob. no tone, no blend.. all wide open. best thing i've played. i get the big rub-a-dub up front by the neck and the punchy bright tone by the bridge. what more could i want? now that i run through 2 4x10's and an ampeg B-4r i can finally feel the nuances of the bass and pickup placement. my favorite hand position (i'm not a knob twiddler) is right behind the P pickup in front of the MM.. such a sweet tone. oh yeah, it's a Bartolini P pickup, and a basslines MM pickup.. here's a photo.. sorry about the angle of the photo, don't hurt yer neck..
  15. the reason i did it this way was because i wanted a SPECIFIC tone. i can't remember the last time i needed to change my tone so drastically in a set that it required knob twiddling, so i went for the sound i needed from the bottom up.. from the angle it looks like the pickups are close together, but they're far enough apart to make a diffrence with hand positioning. it's a great tone though, i wouldn't change a thing..
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't taken any measurements, but after many years of playing both I'd wager you are absolutely correct.

That said, I'd love to have a P/MM even if spacing wasn't exact. Given a choice, I'd probably leave the MM as is and slide the P over. Then again, the difference might not be significant either way.