Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P + MM Style basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Jun 30, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How do these sound? I've never tried a bass like this only P + J types... but I have seen them (American P-bass Deluxe for instance) is it possible to buy a Squier P-bass and put in a MM style pickup?

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a maple p-bass with that configuration, and I'd say it sounds like a Musicman Sabre. The nice thing is you can get P-tones with the front pickup soloed and Sterling tones with the back soloed. But I'd say Sabre with both full on.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    As for your second question- yes, you can. Thats what I did. The tech at my local music store had a Bartolini MM pickup w/eq laying around, so I got a deal on it and routed for it. He did the wiring for it, luckily, because they are a PITA!

4. I heard that you wouldn't get the right "P" sound or the right "MM" sound because it would be impossible to have them BOTH in their originally intended positions. But the way I see it, that wouldn't matter if you got a good sound out of it. Ya' Know?