P/MM vs. L2500/ASAT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 8, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oky, as most of you probably know, I have been planning on building a Warmoth P/MM, or possibly speccing out something similar from Dave Pushic.

But tonight it dawned on me that the dual humbucker G&L's may fit the bill, and give me some added versatility as well.

So, all of you L2500 and ASAT owners(if there are any here), how well does your G&L do the P bass tone, and how near does it get to the Stingray tone?

All of the L2500's and L2000's that I have ever played have been insanely heavy. Does anyone know if all of the Special Sale G&L's at BassNW are the really heavy, northern ash variety?
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The L-2500 would give you a darn good P sound.

The L-2500 wouldn't really give you a good Music Man sound.

All modern G&Ls are either Alder, Swamp Ash, or Tilia (on 5-strings).

The Swamp Ash ones tend to be heavier than the Alder ones. G&L started using Tilia for the 5-strings because it is lighter.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anyone else? I know there are a lot of L2000 / L2500 owners here.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think it does both tones well, but not 100%. Since you can't put the pickups in the exact position on your Warmoth, I'd look into playing a few L-2000. You have a really wide range of tones. From active to passive, series to parrell.

Right now my L-2000 only works passive & it still sounds great. I basiclly use it in the same position when I use it so you have to strap one on & play w/the switches & tone knobs yourself ;) but I think you should definitly look in to one.

If you feel it's too heavy, buy a wider, padded leather strap. I have one & it make me forget that I'm playing a Spector.

Also, another option is the American Deluxe P-bass. I've found you can get a nice MM sound out of that humbucker.

Or you could buy a Ray & add a P pickup to it.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I am having a bass built with a Duncan MM pup and a reverse (inverted) P (like the spectors). I think it will be a great bass. The guy building the bass does killer work and the way he does a MM is everything a stingray wants to be. I cant wait.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i don't have a G&L but i have played a couple. they are great, but your idea of a P an MM is for me better and really fresh, my vote goes for this, if i only could have access to the warmoth catalog without all the taxes for the international shipping...
    here's what i'd do:
    Precision 5 Body in Swamp Ash
    Precision 5 Neck in hard rock maple with ebony fingerboard, no fret inlays with custom headstock with 4+1 and not 5 straight tuner position
    body finished in greenburst
    SD MM pickup
    Aero or other custom maker 5 string P bass pickup
    not reversed
    Bartolini electronics with 3 band eq, active passive switch and 3 position mid frequency cut/boost
    no pickguard

much better than a standard G&L to me....or not?
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    The L-series excels at a powerful P-bass sound when soloing the neck pickup. This is one of it's best attributes IMO because it's like having more than one bass in your hands when you throw that neck pickup back into the mix.

I pretty much play with the preamp on at all times, and most often in series mode as well. The series mode lends more bottom end, but the parallel mode lets the wood's tone come through with more clarity in my opinion. The series has more punch though, so I usually stick with that.

As far as the MM sound, the L-series can approximate, but not as well as it does with a P-bass sound. Try it with both pickups on, preamp on, and in series mode. Then, roll off the treble slowly until some of the trebly upper end emphasis is less apparent. This makes for a warmer tone, something more approximate to the MM's. I've even been able to get a good MM sound by soling the neck pickup, then boosting the bass and lower mids on my amp.

Both the MM's and G&L's have plenty of growl, but the voicing is different due to the pickups, preamp, etc. For that reason, the L-series is ultimately versatile, but isn't really fooling anyone into thinking that it's an MM. I do however think that sight unseen, it could fool someone into thinking that it's a P-bass when soloing the neck pup.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I guess I should have looked at this thread earlier. I played a P bass almost exclusively for many years, and I think my L2500 all but nails the tone. My P-bass clone is neck only in passive with both the bass and treble rolled off ever so slightly. G&Ls are very bassy, much more so than a P bass IMHO. That's why I roll it off just a hair.

The bass does a good enough MM impression for my liking. I played Ray 5 sparkleflake cherryburst a while back that I was totally in love with. I really wanted that bass, but it was so similar to my L2500 that I couldn't justify buying it.

For slap, I play the bass in "standard" position. Both PUs, active-flat. all knobs cranked. (Except volume which I always leave rolled off about 10 percent) I switch back and forth between series and parrallel depending on what I am thinking at the time.

I personally prefer this slap tone to any EBMM. I know Rays have that classic slap sound, but with nickels, my G&L has a meaty grit to it that I just love and can't get out of ray.

If you could get into a G&L for the right money, I think it is certainly a good option. They are very easy basses to warm up to.

BTW, my natural ash w/maple neck (at left) weighs roughly 47 tons.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    See if you can guess which one is the G&L?

Sorry. I couldn't help it.
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    That L-2500 looks like big brother to one of my L-2000's.

Sadly, I don't have any pics of the alder one in Cobalt. :(
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You know, I once had someone ask me if I got it cheaper since they didn't have to paint it.

BTW, the other bass in that photo is my MIA JD5, which I also think is pretty cool. (Not as cool as the G&L)

12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Chas, have you seen the Fender Avenue pictorial on the updated G&L site? They have some great shots of bodies being cut, frets set, etc. There's a couple shots of a L-2500 being cut and sanded too.

The one that really got me was the last page. It's a picture of the desk where Leo did his work while with G&L. The pics of his work area left a venerable impression on me.
  13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My alder body L-2000 is only average weight (almost the same as my alder Carvin) and has great sound. You can definately get a p-sound and I can get a stingray-type (not perfect) sound with the bridge pup soloed all knobs but vol maxed and in parallel with pre-amp on. The best sound to me though is both pups on, series mode, pre-amp on, vol down about 1/4, treb 100% and bass at about 90%. Also my TI Powerbass strings on it really help with the tone.:cool:

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeff, how can you even think about a G&L? That little pointy thing on the headstock looks SO dorky. It's just PLEADING to be knocked off.
  15. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Perfect for poking the non-believers! :p
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Buy an older one (early 80s) when the necks had a Fender style headstock.

Then Fender sued them :rolleyes:
  17. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    "So, all of you L2500 and ASAT owners(if there are any here), how well does your G&L do the P bass tone, and how near does it get to the Stingray tone?"

Jeff, absolutely. I don't care what anybody says. I get a great P and MM with my L2000's. I only had one experience with an L2500 and the B just did not even come close to being as tight as the MM SR 5's, so I was not into it. But the L2000's are the bass of doom dude.

I think Seamus nailed it by saying the L2000 nails the P tone to the wall and approximates the MM. I also prefer the L2000's "MM" tone. I love MM SR5's too, but my personal favorite would have to be the L2000. If you are a slapper at all, you must check one out. The ash may be a little heavier but I can handle it. It really is not that heavy.