Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P neck on a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Oct 17, 2003.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I like P bass necks but want the flexibility of the jazz pickups so I'm thinking of doing a swap. Anyone foresee any problems? I'm thinking that the necks should be interchangable but I'm not sure about that. I have a MIA P-bass and if I can find someone who has a jazz who wants to keep their neck but indulge in the P tone I'll be in business. Would the slight string spacing difference matter? Seems like the strings might not line up perfectly over the neck pickup pole pieces. Looking for feedback from someone who has done this.

If this isn't a problem then I'll be looking to trade with someone who has a jazz. I'd want a MIA but would consider any alder-bodied fender. I'd throw in some cash if someone had a a 62 RI with the stacked pots.

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    In Jaco's instructional video he plays his "Bass
    of Doom" with a Maple board P-Bass neck,said he
    did it to strech out his hands,cause he had not been playing much? Check it out if you have the video.:)

3. people do it all the time, tim c all his jazz basses have p necks, why dont u just replace the knobs, i was going to do that but i added a p between the two j pickups and haveing tone and volume for all 3 seemed like over kill.

4. The P neck is a little more chuncky but they are interchangable. As stated, others still do it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    the Mark Hoppus is like that....but just a volume knob.

6. I love P-necks and I'm starting to like the J-sound too, so I thought of combining the two forces! :p I was also thinking of having stereo output with the neck pickup going to a bass amp and the bridge pickup going to a distortion amp...

Anyways! My fretless SX Jazz has a very P-bass like neck on it...I love it! And the best part, no sharp fret edges! ;) :smug:

7. i would rather play a rogue than a hoppus bass, it had the worst feel and tone out of all the basses i've ever played. Well, i only tried one of them, so maybe it was just that one, but yeah

8. It might have just been set up wrong...

9. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I think thats a great idea. That is exactly what 'm thinking about doing. Putting a Maple P-bass neck on a Black J body :cool: :D

10. If you replace the first knob with stacked volume knobs and then the second knob with a tone knob, that would allow for two input jacks...

Have fun and take pictures of it if you do it! maybe even sound clips!

11. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I have a gorgeous 2003 AmSe P-bass with a rosewood board. I love this bass to death, but the neck is a bit chunky for me, so I'd be willing to think about swapping my P-bass neck for an equivalent AmSe J-bass neck. Please send me a PM or e-mail if you want to do this! I'd like a modern one with the graphite reinforced neck, as I use heavy flats...

12. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    If I had a jazz I'd do that trade and put your P neck on the jazz. Anyone want to trade an American jazz for my '97 P-bass? It's sunburst rosewood and is a real sweetie - best P-bass I've owned (out of 6)

13. For those who are considering a new jazz style bass. I recently contacted Dan Lakin about a Skyline Joe Osborn with a Skyline Bob Glaub P neck. Anyway I was pleased to find that he said he could do that (no problem, no upcharge) so anyway I too have been considering a J bass with a P neck and think I would just as soon have the the Lakland shop swap the necks than anyone (including myself) do it .