1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p-nut artist series or streamer jazzman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crusie, May 16, 2011.

1. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    hey,

I'm looking around for a new bass to fill the gaps my lovely läkland skyline 55-01 doesn't fill.

seeing that my skyline has 2 soapbars I was thinking the jazzman or p-nut artist series would do the trick as they both have a mm/j configuration. I need a somewhat more heavy sound than I can get from the skyline. I'm not looking for vintage tone - I'm looking for a more modern one with alot of guts.

looks also has something to say on my part. it's not the biggest factor but it has its place too.

regarding these two basses I know that the streamer jazzman is built in germany and the AS series of the p-nut is built in korea or something. I don't care where it's built as long as it's done well.
    how is the built quality of those ? anyone had them side to side for a comparison ?

pretty sure the mm/j configuration is what I'm after(from what I can tell on sound clips/youtube) and if you know of any other basses in the same price range or lower that has this configuration and seems better than the two - feel free to bring them on board as well :D

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    jazzman configuration is very versatile. very modern yet you can dial in some vintage vibe.
    As for construction wise I think the new korean warwicks will be up to part with the german basses but they are very new to the market and I would opt for a Used streamer jazzman and save couple bucks.

3. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    I always really liked the Cort GB74 or 94 or whatever it is- do some digging. Really well made, good look, great pickups, stupid-low price.

Even stupid lower is Traben's Array Attack (some hate the style, but they play well in my experience)

Esp Surveyor's are nice and reasonable, plus an emg tricoil in the sweet spot.

And there's always a warmoth build, which I love personally.

4. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    well looking at the specs the pnut has passive seymour duncan pickups and a 2 band mec pre with a push pull on the bass control to split the coil. If im correct its the same pickups but (4 string versions) as the german made pnutIII
    The streamer jazzman has MEC passive pickups and 3 band mec pre with a switch to run the humbucker in series/parellel/single coil.
    Personally I would prefer the ovankol neck and 3 band pre over the maple and 2 band pre.
    Also the streamer can be had for a lot cheaper used than a new artist pnut

5. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    or you can just be a nut and buy the german made pnut!!

pnut017.

6. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    well money don't grow on trees here in DK - ofcourse you are more than welcome to ship me yours - I'll gladly pay the shipment ;)

seungkoo so you say overall I get more bang per buck if I buy the jazzman? I just found a 4 string for sale used... shame I need a 5'er. I might just pull the plunge on a new one - noone had the chance to screw it up before me then :)

7. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    man I Didnt realize you were in denmark. Have you checked out the warwick forums?? Most of the guys there are from europe and you can get some good deals on used gear from guys who take good care of their instruments.
    do they make the new artist pnut series as a 5 string too?

8. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    looking at the warwick website, the pnut artist series looks to have different pickup placements than the german made pnut and the streamer jazzmans. The humbucker looks closer to the bridge. It might just be a bad picture but thats something to look into because if its true itll sound a bit different due to the spacing.

9. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    The 4-string uses different placement with the humbucker closer to the bridge. They also make a 5-string version, and the pickups on those are in the normal jazzman config location (at least, closer to the neck).

The only other issue is, at least with the 4 string P-Nut AS, the body is a slab body. Unlike the real P-Nut and Streamer Jazzman, the body is not curved and contoured. I know Florin has said they are, but the pictures on the website, as well as pictures someone took at a trade show, show that body is flat like a Streamer Std or Rockbass. May not be a big issue to some, but to me that kind of cheapens it a bit, not to mention that I love the curved bodies for their comfort.

10. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    I recommend looking for a limited edition Warwick. They are top quality and have been selling for some amazing prices recently. Usually between $1200-$1600.

11. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Based on close examination at the NAMM show, all the artist series models don't look or feel quite as good as the German-made basses but are competitive to other models in their price class. However, for the money the artist series models appear to be a good deal - they're a third of the price of the German models (list price vs list price). I'd be interested in a PNut artist series for the right price (to go along with my German limited edition bass).

12. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    alright. thanks for the info. Have you tried the läkland skyline series ? specifically the 55-01. I'd love a comparison build-wise between those two.
    Seems the only way I get to try a p-nut artist series is to buy one online and send it back if it isn't me. I have a skyline 55-01 as my main axe, and it's a player alright, But I really think the J/MM pup configuration is more me :D

13. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Felt like reviving this thread

Any updates, opinions or more recent experiences with the Warwick P-Nut artist Series?
    It does look great. There's a video demo on Youtube that confirms the good looks. Also my Schecter Stiletto says being born in korea is nothing to be ashamed of in terms ob build quality :)

This is the video link:Warwick Proseries P-Nut by Keng Bassist - YouTube