P-NUT on the new Cure cover, love song-

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Feb 20, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Is it just me or is his "translation" horrible!

Too many notes... bad phrasing...

Whats the deal????
    Is p-nut a bit too full of himself or what?

2. i think its sounds great. dont hate on him. like you said its "his translation". i think the bassline suits the whole remake very well, & gives it his & 311's style
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    that reminds me of a Dave Mason song (former Traffic member)

"we'll just have to agree to disagree" or something like that.

hey man, to each his own.... I don't hate him, I just think the line is WAAAYYY out of hand!!!!!
  4. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    i always though the Cure had great basslines to begin with. i havent heard this pnut version, but i wouldnt think the basslines would require sexing up.
  5. this cover sounds pretty lame to me- like Dread Zeppelin covering/parodying it.

however, the bassline is pretty much the same as the original- a bit ska-ified, but Simon Gallup's bassline was just as busy-
    check out live versions of the Cure original to hear the bass clearer.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Sounds almost like the original bass line to me, is it just me, or wasn't the original even "busier"?
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't think it sounds too busy. I actually think it sounds pretty good. Again, the whole "agree to disagree" thing. ;)
  8. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    What is the difference between the Cure and 311's versions? It sounds just like the Cure went into 311's studio and re-recorded their own song using 311's drumset and equipment. The lead singer sounds like Robert Smith with a hangover. I like the Cure's version. 311's version barely sounds any different. They could've at least sped it up or added some distortion. It sounds like they looked at the tab in Guitar World and just went for it.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D I haven't heard it yet, but am a big Cure fan. I do love both the Tool and Tori Amos versions of the tune... so I'll most likely dig the 311 version too.

Hey Fletcher, I almost lost my coffee reading that line!!!

10. The Cure kind of creep me out... And 311's version is just so great! It makes me think of this girl I like... (I'm a Senior in HS, get over it haha). Real chill and smooth!!
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    WOW! Was this one really resurrected after four-and-a-half YEARS for THAT?! :atoz:
  12. HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    Yeah I was gonna say how is this song new? I hate 311 but I think they did a great jorb on this song.
  13. Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Hmmmm ... bassist4dalord may not like the Cure version, but I bet his parents did ;)
  14. Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    LOL! "I will always love you... at least until Summer Vacation starts!" :D

Simon Gallup OWNS P-Nut on this tune!
  15. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Robert Smith wins!
  16. 311's version is way behind-the-beat in a stoners-trying-to-play-reggae kind of way. I think that it loses momentum and kind of just plods along.