Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-nut

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bobaweeka, Mar 6, 2001.

1. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    I was just curious what you guys think about P-nut from 311. I think he's great. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Songs i should check??
    recordings?

seeya

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Maybe not great....but definitely has some good stuff.

4. Yes, he defiantly has some good basslines. He is a pretty good slapper too.

5. i recommend the album "grassroots" to anybody, even if you don't like rap, the music is incredible. as far as individual songs... "feels so good" "light years" "creature feature" "slinky" "taiyed" and "omaha stylee" give a good overall tour of his skills. he has my dream tone... drool...

6. P-nut may not be the best bassist around, but he is still one of my fave's. He's got this killer tone that always sounds good. He also has great stage presence dancing around and all. I definitely recomend taking a listen to any 311 CD if you already haven't. They rock.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll second Grassroots; I'm terrible at remembering the names of tunes...there's a "Jazzy" number on this record & a sorta Latin/Funk tune, too.
    I also like their first album, Music.
    For my money, tone-wise(especially), I'd take P-Nut over Flea...

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah P-Nut is one of my fav bassists...great basslines and great tone..

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Iam probably going to get into trouble for this one but the only songs ive heard of them are on the radio and that one song were he does some slap is really bad attempt to slap! You you can be really good and funk then dont try it ithink!

10. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Well Eric, you are only in trouble now because you have only heard some of 311's singles. I think P-nut is f*ckin awesome. But don't judge his playing from their singles. get their cd's and you'll understand. It's not just his tone or his slapping, he just puts the perfect combinations of notes together every time. even simple stuff like "My Stoney Baby" is seriously groovy. I think I need to learn some theory on groovy basslines or something because it seems like P-nut can just bust them out without thinkin twice about them. "Feels so Good" is a great number too. and many more.

Anyway. P-nut kicks balls! (thats a good thing)

11. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    So, Eric, you are basically saying that Marcus Miller sucks. P-nut plays that slap part in their most recent radio song "Come Original" as a sort of a Marcus tribute, the line is similiar to some of Marcus' best work. I may get in trouble for saying this, but why do you think you are qualified to judge his slapping abilities. I would like to hear some of your work...I think that it is sad that people insult other players who are trying to express themselves. P-nut can probably play circles around you, how does it feel to be put down? Probably not that good.

12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Id be glad to go up against p-nut!Ive been playing funk bass for about 15 years now! Ive got 2 cds id be glad to send to ya just give me a addy! But i will go and listen to some more p-nut i will go download some of his stuff but as far as going up against him id be glad to do that!

13. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    And I'll be sure to listen to a song and automatically say, damn, that guy is attempting to play funk, but he should just give it up!(Effectively what you said about P-nut) You may have been playing for 15 years, but your maturity level is that of a 15 year old. What band are you in? How many CD's have you sold. Your "great" playing isn't getting you very far, I've never heard of you...The fact that you would "go up against P-nut" show your maturity level. I was just making a point about how stupid it is to insult other players.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Aye. Hi stupid! :p

You can be a very good bass player without being commercially successful. The number of CDs sold is totally irrelevant. Not having heard of someone doesn't really mean anything either, in fact, I had not heard of Michael Manring until I saw his name in the "Ask Michael Manring" forum here.

How come people always draw parallells between slap/pop technique and funk? Slap does not equal funk. Far too often slap isn't funky at all.

This is not my forum to moderate, but keep the flaming away, I beg you.

15. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Why is it that I am stupid. Do you think that's its cool for Eric to come in and make assumptions about a players' abilities based on hearing a song on the radio? Another point is that you may not have heard of Manring, and thats cool, but he(Manring) didn't come on here and rip into some other bass player like Eric. I am not trying to be a prick, I just hate when people come on here and insult other players, what do you think about that, Oysterman? I don't flame people BTW, I come here to discuss bass, not make fun of bass players like others here do.

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey friend lets just smoke a big fat doobie together and eat some pizza! Then we will listne to some more p-nut together! I wasnt really slamming p-nut i was just saying on the songs ive heard of theres on the radio i didnt like the slap thing he tried to do i thought it was to full of slap he should of just kept a good funk feel in there but i think he was just trying to show that he is some badass bass player wich he is not bad but ehh! Weve not made it famous probably because we dont try to! We enjoy playing small places 3 or 4 hundred people or so that truly enjoy are music for what it is! Id rather have 30 people ion a small club that will set down and enjoy are talents that 20 thousand screaming idiots that are there because its cool to be there! Iam to the point as a bass player that i wont go stand up and take on p-nut to see who is better id just do it for the fun of it! It would be awsome to get up on stage with another band and just jam! I listend to some more 3-11 and i like hes rock stuff much better than the funk stuff he tries to do! I just think that he is a rock bass player! I dont play much rock iam into funk/jazz stuff! Iam in it to expand my mind not to say hey look at me i can slap a little so iam cool! I could care less what people say about what i play but iam happy that we have a shiit load of fans that like us!

17. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Don't make me get the hose!! I'll start some moderatin' and y'all won't like it!

Chris A.:rolleyes:

18. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    And as you see i will like p-nut better now once he knows a good bass that we share!

19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Eric please,

Punctuation is not the enemy!

Chris A.:rolleyes: