Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Nut?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I have heard a lot of people rave about P-nut like he's Flea or something, and now he has a new Warwick sig bass. What's the deal? Did he used to be in some great band or something? If it's just 311, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Enlighten me

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    311's new stuff is kinda iffy, but their first couple records-- Grassroots, especially-- kicked serious kajunga, with very creative bass parts practicly dribbling out all over.

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    He's a great bassist. I wouldn't say virtuoso material, but he definately has some whippin licks!

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sig bass? Any links to support it?

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm, I only like "creatures for a while", but he does what he needs to do for the band, he lays down some solid low end. I mean, you mention Flea, look at him, he's no virtuoso by any stretch of imagination, but it didn't stop Modulus givng him a sig bass.

8. Well, there are hundreds of guys laying down solid low end. Hell, I lay down solid low end. Flea is different; He has mad chops, and was an innovator, too. I'll check out 311's old stuff, though.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Who says a bassist needs talent to have a custom bass.

[​IMG]

10. very true :D . Fieldy has a sig bass? Never knew that.

11. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Actually P-Nut is my biggest influence and I'm very proud of him.

He truly is a great bassist. Never too flashy, but never boring P-Nut always lays down the groove.

Definately check out 311's first two albums Music (93) and Grassroots (94)

Yo P-Nut! Beat that thing!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Their first album was self titled wasn't it?

13. the self titled one was their 3rd album. As for good 311 songs, as well as their first two albums be sure to check out Transistor and Soundsystem.

14. I always liked the song called Feels so good. That song blew me away when i first heard it. And that bass solo (P-nut, beat that thang!) rocked my socks off!

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wouldn't say he has "mad chops" and I don't see him as a grat innovator, I mean, he brought slap back to the masses, but then it never really died...

16. Flea brought forth a special kind of punk rock intensity, and put it into slapping.....

17. Last night I came home after being at a New Years Eve dance to see Dick Clarks Rockin' New Year or wahtever. So this band was on and there was a wicked cool bass line and I looked at the bassist to see he had a warwick. (Humbucker with a jazz pickup) I thought "That might be 311???" seing as I'd hardly heard their stuff, and afterwards I figured out that it was them.

I want more! It was tight, tight groove. I pick him over Flea personally since I've heard my friends 311 since then.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You had to pull the Fieldy card. Why must you always cheapen it Matt? :D

BTW, I really dig P-Nut. Grassroots kicks major rear. Homebrew baby!

19. Ya, he had this aggresive funk style. It has influenced me a lot.

20. jjtsucka

jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    very good player that had a huge influence on me as well feels so good is a great track and that along with all things primus really helped in my development as a bass player