P.O.S Basses you have owned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blaire, Mar 29, 2005.

1. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Ok, title says it all, Many people must have owned a bass that was a great piece of junk. I want to hear about it. I had a MIJ Fender Jazz that was only good for wheel chocks. The pick ups went quiet , the nut broke, the bottom strap pin came loose and screwed up all the nice natural finish, it really was a piece of junk. When it was in the shop getting repairs (again) I bought a stingray and never looked back.NOTHING has gone wrong with the ray in the 6 years Ive played it. I sold the fender 2 weeks later and lost a heap of money on it. I only owned it for 6 months. :scowl:
  2. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Started 6 years ago on a Used Ibanez GSR200 through a 10w amp..... it was missing knobs and the fretboard dirty as hell so i learneduntil i got a MIM Jazz , got the GSR200 back a year and a half ago and took out the frets smoothed and polished it up and now its my cheap-o fretless :hyper: :hyper:
  3. i think the only bad seed in my history of basses was an OLP Stingray, god it was awful, nice sound to be fair, but so huge and totally unergonomically designed for me, it lasted 2 days before i sold it too a guitar shop and made double my money on it :)

still there you go!
  4. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    One of the first couple basses I ever owned (when I was 15 I think) Was also a Fender Jazz. It too was a HUGE p.o.s.!!
    The neck needed adjusting every other week, it didn't stay in tune for more than an hour or two at a time and two of the block inlays fell out. I didn't really know that much about bass then and didn't understand why there were two volume knobs? Came to find out that the bridge pickup didn't work at all.

Another HUGE piece of crap I had was my first 5 string. It was a Samick and I only kept it for about a month. I can't go into what all was wrong with it because I doubt this server has enough memory.

I traded that one in on a lower line Ibanez RG bass. This one at least stayed in tune... but two of the bolts holding the neck on Fell OUT!!!!! Got rid of it for another Ibanez that actually stayed together.

By then I was about 17 and I saved up for MONTHS and got my first Yamaha. (don't recall what model now). After playing it I decided I would never again buy anything but high quality mass produced or custom hand made basses.
  5. paul cuzzone

paul cuzzone

Mar 27, 2005
    anniston al.
    think your basses have been bad? my first bass was a hondo. says it all right there. it didnt even sound like a bass. pos pos pos pos. i thought about taking out the frets... but no... i decided it wasnt worth it. no matter what you change on it. it was a pos. ... at least i got to nick name it the hondo occord.
  6. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    My first bass was a biscayne. UGH!
  7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    First bass was a Univox Hofner copy. Second was a Gibson EB-0. Neither sounded as good as a piece of driftwood with rubber bands for strings. I can't believe I learned on these things and gigged professionally with them. These basses were better suited for archery!
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure how much these are pieces of dog doo, but they were/are to me:

-my first Ibanez EXB404- the nut came unglued during a string change. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

-my Ibanez TRB105 5-string. I don't know what the issue is with that bass, but even with a professional set-up it STILL can't play right. If the action is lowered to my tastes, it buzzes out of control. The bass only sounds good with high action, but then it's uncomfortable to play. The single-coil pickups have weak output. The only reason I even keep that bass (I've had it since I was 17) is for sentimental value (I played my first gig and my first paying gig with it.) Also, it was one of the only entry level passive 5-strings available that I could afford back then. I find the neck uncomfortable too.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never owned a POS. Every real bass that I have owned was at least decent.

I have played plenty of bad basses though. My guitarist has a St. George that has action so high that you can drive a hotwheel on the neck(under the strings) and if you try to adjust the tone, it turns into a white noise machine. There is a place where the finish has worn off of the body, and I swear it looks like the body is chipboard or cardboard.

I hope he doesn't read this, he likes that old bass.

10. Hey, my guitarist's first CAR was a Biscayne!!! :D

11. Hey that's what I drive NOW! Some things never change... :D
  12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    My only awful bass was a 2002 Ibanez SRX500. It played incredibly well -- almost as well as my 2003 American Series Jazz -- but absolutely could not cut through a mix to save its life. The D and G strings were barely audible in the band context. Recorded it was even worse. Oddly, it always sounded very good solo, which is why I bought it. Learned a big lesson right there, wised up, and bought the Jazz.
  13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My first bass was a "kramer voyager" Bought it used off a friend cheap cheap... I think it is still in my folks basement where I abandoned it years ago...
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wish bass....

'Nuff said..
  15. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Hondo "All Star" - The Sound of Ply-Wood.
  16. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    LOL! thats funny! Keep it up. ;)
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I have a fretless Squier right now. Everyone makes fun of me, but I could care less. I don't think it sounds bad-- at all! I swear to God, best neck ever. Soooooo smooth.

Any suggestions for new pups for Jerry (my bass) though? Shoot me an email or PM.
  18. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    two basses that i never was happy with were the Ibanez EDA905 RRF and the Epiphone EB3. The Ibanez just lacked that warm tone that i love and it just sounded really "fake", plus the shape and "finish" drove me crazy. The EB3 just didn't suit my style of music, metal. And because i'm a pick player i lost a lot of low end, more than your average bass, from those weak pu's. And the 3 point bridge of the EB3...what a pain in the ass it was to get the correct action. The basses weren't of poor build quality, they weren't falling apart, but more poor design quality.
  19. ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    I learned to play on a "RokAxe" (yeah no "c" in the rock), the thing was a bonafied POS. I don't even think it was made of real wood, it was like pressed cardboard practically...
  20. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey my first bass was a Univox beetle bass too!
    I got it used with a non working tone control, one day I opened it up to see if maybe a wire had come of and the *******g slob who sold me the bass attached the wires with bandaids! If that didn't give a new meaning to a "bandaid fix!" I felt soo violated, soo ripped of, soo taken, so speachless. And to top it all of he used speaker wire! What a pos.