P or a J....which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Precision Bass

100 vote(s)
  2. Jazz Bass

112 vote(s)
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you could have only one fender, either a Precision bass, or a Jazz bass, which would it be?

My vote goes to the J
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Neck alone: Precision

Body alone: Precision

Tone alone: Precision

My choice: Jazz (and by Jazz I mean Precision)

I need sleep.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    P all the way. Jazzes aren't ballsy enough sounding for me, plus I hate their necks.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. Considering i own 4 P basses i think my choice is obvious. :D
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Neck: Jazz

Body: Jazz

Sound: Jazz

Everything else: Jazz

I don't like P basses.
  8. I love my Old beat up 80's schecter P/j-bass with added EB-O pickup, and I wouldnt play anything else. I have access to my dad's american jazz and 74 rickenbacker...but I only play my schecter, I love it too much!!

In other words, I like P's
  9. Fender has one that you can switch to sound like both.
  10. lately I have been thinking about getting a PJ pickups bass.

but if I had to pick one I would go with a precision bass.
  11. CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    jazz because you gots to be down with the funk
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like both, so I own both. If I could only have one, it would be a Jazz.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Jazz and funk!? Cowboy, dude, precision for funk! It's all about the P! What kind of nasty funk do you listen to?!

Yar, I'd personally choose a P. I've found since I upgraded the p'ups in my bass (P/J) that I have the P soloed 80% of the time and the rest is with the J p'up at 10-20% with the P at full.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe i also play funk and prefer a P. I dont use it for slapping though, just funky non-slap basslines. I use a diff bass for slapping, bc my P is fretless.
  15. Both.

I'd like both please.(matching color too)
  16. P or J, J or P, p OR j........

Well, I have both. Both are sunburst. Both are American made. One is a 72, the other a 99.

You want me to choose only one of my boys...

I'd rather shoot myself.

(The P is the 72 btw.)
  17. I've never owned a Jazz Bass that I really liked, and I've tried them over and over and over again. Each time I've bought one, I've tried and tried to like it, but I've always ended up selling it. About a year ago I sold my last one, and I mean, MY LAST ONE. Why have I kept on buying them? Well, I kept falling for that "clap-trap" about needed to own "both". What a CROCK!

I've owned Precision Basses since 1962 and I've always been very happy with them. They've always done exactly what I want them do. I've finally decided at the ripe "old" age of 59, that I'll stick with P-Basses from here on out. I really don't need anything else.
  18. appler

appler Guest

I love both... but if I had to choose, I'd go with the J since it's so versatile. I love my American jazz, but I keep the old Squier Precision around for fun. ;)

I SERIOUSLY want one of those Fender Precision Specials. Precision body, jazz neck, P.J pickup configuration. Sounds like a great bass for a variety of styles.