P or J Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MasterChief, May 23, 2004.

1. MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO both basses do a fine job, it really depends on the type of tone you're looking for. I own both but I prefer the P-Bass tone. The P-Bass lacks the tonal variety of a Jazz but it's tone has always worked for me.

I have a MIA Standard P-Bass w/ the S-1 feature. At this point I leave the bass in it's 'series' position, which is the classic P-Bass tone, but having the 'parallel' sound is also nice. I like the neck, it feels a little chunkier, but it doesn't feel as wide as most of the P-Basses I own or have owned. I'm not completely sold on the stock pickup's sound. It's a bit too raw & dark sounding for my taste, but IMO it's sound would kill if I played mostly hard rock.

You can find good deals on both the MIA J & P-Basses on ebay or at your local music stores.

You'll have to try both the Jazz & Precision and make the call for yourself. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Best wishes, A.P.
  3. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I bought a MIA Jazz, and with the new s-1 switching you can approximate P-bass tone. Personally I prefer the feel of the jazz. For what it's worth, if you prefer a P it does get pretty close to j bass sounds as wee. Thanks to the s-1 switching
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you don't know which one you want, you don't have business with either IMO. Try some cheap copies, like Essex P and Essex J copies, try them for a few months with bands, see which "sits in the mix" like you want, has the style you want, then spring for the big buck USA made bass.
  5. Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    It does really depend on what sound you are looking for, but I would also look to what you listen to. I have owned a number of basses, and found my way back to a Fender Jazz - now I have found my tone. I should have started there since I listen to mostly classic rock and my bass hero is Geddy Lee (a Jazz Bass man).

You should try both and see what you like. One thing about the Jazz - the neck is thinner so therefore faster. The body is bigger, though, and so is heavier. The Jazz has two pickups which give you more tonal variety.

I have Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups ($100 for the pair) which are double coil Jazz pickups. Since they are double coil I was able to have them wired with a parallel/series switch. When the knobs are down it sounds just like a normal Jazz bass (with better sounding pickups). With the neck pup soloed and the switch in series I get close to a P-Bass sound. With the bridge pup soloed and in series I get somewhere between a Jazz and Music Man sound. This is the way to go IMHO! :)
  6. MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Well I went to a music store to get my current bass fixed up a bit. I went to the bass section and talked to some bassist who works there.

I played both of the instruments I mentioned in my first post. I have to say, I really dig the P-bass's sound. I'm going to save up for it.

It's 900.00 USD. :crying:
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool, good luck!

I was actually going to recommend getting the P-bass. Not because of tone, but because it has an average size neck for a four-stringer. The J-bass has a very slim neck, and once players get comfy on that sometimes they have a tough time playing basses with wider necks.