Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P or J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClashCityRocker, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi,i currently own a mexican jazz bass with a big ampeg rig,I was thinking of getting myself an american bass but i dont know wich one owuld suit me better.Witch one has the bigger low end sound for playing reggea?I also play ska,alternative and punk so i need something that would overall be better in all.Thanks
    Mart

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    While I love my Jazz I think the Precision would suit your needs better.

Dan

3. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Ok thanxs,but how does the precision go along with reggea?does it have that real low end sound?Or is precision all about the tone and has no fat bass.

4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    To me a Precision has that nice fat low end sound. I know a lot of reggae players that play a P.

Have your tried just playing your Jazz using only the neck pickup? That can give you a fat sound.

Dan

5. Try them, both. See what you think, and bring YOUR amp to the store with you.

6. Hey ClashCity, welcome to Talkbass.

How much do you want to spend?

A P-bass would be a very good choice for Reggae, but so would an Epiphone EB-3. It has a huge humbucker at the neck and has one of the thickest tones of any stock passive bass.

Two other things you might consider:
    1) Using flatwound strings to give you a thicker fundamental and a more percussive tone.
    2) Using a stomp box to thicken up your tone with whichever bass you use. Check out the Boss SYB-3 Synth unit here: www.bossus.com

Good luck.

Mike

7. Rock Rock Clash City Rockers.... don't you think Paul Simonon got a very nice reggae tone out of his P bass?..Guns of Brixton or bankrobber are a good example of a P bass doing the nice fat low end reggae tone...

Fetch!

8. Don't you mean the neck pickup? The bridge has more treble and growl.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what about this?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is what I meant :confused: . I corrected the post.

Thanks.

11. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah i have tried playing only bridge pickup on my jazz,sounds good but still its a mexican.Epiphone maybe sound good but in guitars and basses(not amps),im a fender all the way guy.My amp is pretty heavey to bring to the store thats the problem,and when i test a bass i like to crank up the volume real loud to really see how it sounds.I think im going to get the precision,i just realised sting uses precision and he has a lot of low end in certain songs.Maybe i could rent it to,just to have one jam with the guys see if it makes the diference.

12. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    oh i meant neck pickup too haha sorry

13. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Also im the kind of guy that plays bass for a while now but im poor in getting good settings.I got a svt2-pro and i know i could get it to sound better.There is a 5-way frequency selector,How does it affect the sound?By the way i am always looking to get that nice low end without distortion.I got an EQ slidders too,with 7 frequencies i think,If anyone knows good amp settings please let me know.Thank you

14. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I think a Fender Jazz is THE Reggae bass. It has the lows. It has more lows than a Precision. Also has more highs than a Preicison. Jazz with flats is the one. Check out Family Man. Precisions on the other hand have more pronounced MID-range. They seem to cut through very well in a loud rock band due their emphasis on mid-range. if I were going to play reggae, I'd grab a jazz with flats.

15. Ska/punk/alternative, I'd reccommend the P-Bass, its the staple horse in all those genre's stables.

Still, you might find that the J-bass is best for you.

P has a fatter, warmer tone, J is more versatile and sounds a little smoother.

16. Hey ClashCityRocker...If you can try a P bass with a maple board. Maple has a better tone to it than rosewood IMO...rosewood to me always sounds muffled or kind of dead sounding compared to a maple fingerboard...

Fetch!

17. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Ok perfect i had already maple in mind.If i were to buy a precision i want it buterscotch with maple neck and black pickguard

18. CCR, you just described my 77 P bass. Ok, it's not butterscotch, but it sure looks like candy though:)[​IMG]

Fetch!

19. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Wow thats a really nice bass,Thats what i like in fender guitars/basses,they got the look and the sound hehe.I also have a telecaster guitar that i like a lot.In what amp are you playing you bass in?

20. I have a old Yamaha F100 115 B amp/combo, 15" speaker and a Fender Bassman combo..

Fetch!