1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P or J for a G&L L-2500 guy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Inconnu

Inconnu

Nov 1, 2005
    My bass-ment
    Hi!

I always wanted a classic Fender style bass. I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm thinking maybe into looking at higher grade Squiers. The question, though, is would a P or a J be the best complement to my USA G&L L-2500?

With the neck pickup soloed, the G&L gets close, but not quite "it", to the sound of a P. With both pickups on, I get near a J, but I can't blend the pickups...

Well, what do you think, P or J?

2. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Why not both ? image.

StuartV likes this.
  3. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Just make split coil mod on L2500 and you don't need anything else ;-)
    I have 3 bases: G&L 2500, and Fender J and PJ.
    They are all nice and fun but G&L gets the most playtime.

Soundchaser11460 likes this.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    As you said, soloing the neck pickup on the L-2500 can approximate a P-bass, and you can't blend pickups. So I think J-bass might be the better move, and I've often thought an L-2500 and J-bass would be among the best two-bass arsenals you could have. I could easily do everything with my M-2500 and either of my J-basses.

For a budget-conscious G&L fan, this means Tribute JB-2, but you wouldn't go wrong with a Tribute SB-2 either, so maybe get whichever pops up first for the right price. They are real bargains on the used market, and among the best budget-friendly basses available IMO.

dinodino likes this.
  5. Inconnu

Inconnu

Nov 1, 2005
    My bass-ment
    I've googled those affinity... Really? Weird that Fender puts an alder body on their cheapest models! Actually, I really dig the white one with a black pickguard and for the price they're selling them, I wouldn't even mind paying an extra 100$ Canadian dollar to get a decent setup and new strings on one.

Are they seriously worth it?

6. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Whatever you do with a G&L with active preamps and the classic G&L pickups: they don't sound like a P or J, not even close, whatever you do with the preamp or the potis or the switches (had a G&L L2000 for 20 years).
    So you need a P and a J.
    Try to find a used MIJ J or P first. Or a used mexican classic. Heard a lot of good things about the Squier cv series, but never tried one.

The better MIJ basses are as good or at least very close to the 2.000,- American Vintage Series basses. I own a JV Squier from 1982, a MIJ Noel Redding and a MIJ Duck Dunn and a American Vintage Series '64 Jazz. And some more Fenders.

7. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    Ummm... hmmm... I would say "which neck do you like?"

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    Stingray. Get something completely different!

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    The answer is.... Both...

I have had an L2500 for almost 20 years.
    The thing, as you know, is a powerhouse. If you do the K-mode coil tap mod, the neck pickup sounds as close to a split-coil as possible, without being a split-coil. Super close.

I recently picked up a Jazz V, and it has a totally subdued, yet articulate nature. As of late, I'm GAS-ing for a P-esq bass...

CB1EC8C4-46C3-4D0C-B508-14E8BFD4ECCA.

10. Inconnu

Inconnu

Nov 1, 2005
    My bass-ment
    Yeah, I've had my G&L for almost 20 years myself, just a bit after you did (mine was part of the first batch with the 3+2 headstock, I can see yours, on your avatar, has the 4+1 config... the store still had a couple of those when I got mine ;) )

Anyways, I'm not sure about getting into modding my old G&L... I don't know, something tells me it got to stay as is...

Still wondering about a J or a P...

As for the MM suggestion, well, soloing the bridge pickup of the G&L gets me darn close to the tone of a Stingray...

11. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Depends on what you mean by "complement".
    I had an ASAT bass and a jazz for a while. Now I have an LB-100. For me, the jazz had more in common with the ASAT.
    If you want a good precision, I would save a bit more and find a used LB-100. I know people love their Fenders, but over a couple of hours I tried the LB-100 along with about four new American jazz and precision basses. Beyond personal preference, the build quality of this particular LB-100 was superior by a surprisingly significant margin, all around.
    I think the Fender pickups are pretty great, though. And every one of those Fenders felt a bit lighter on my shoulders than the LB-100.

12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Get a Fender Cabronita P bass-all the feel and a really different sound, not too expensive, lovely thick neck

13. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010