1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P or J, Which bass has more Mojo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BJMtz, Jan 14, 2019.

1. P

52.9%
  2. J

16.1%
  3. Mojo doesn't exist

31.1%
  1. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    See poll, vote, and post comments.

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    It probably depends on the individual instruments, not a design.
    By 'P' and 'J', do you mean a Fender bass, a copy by whoever, or 'P = single mid-mounted split single coil pickup bass', 'J = double single coil pickup bass'?

MonetBass likes this.
  3. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I wanna knee jerk answer and say a p, based on general bass history; but IMO it really depends on what sort of life the instrument has been leading. Could be either.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I hop both sides of the fence on this issue ...when I'm not sitting on it, cos I luv thot idea of a killer P bass being all I need / want, that's about as mojo cool as it gets, and I have those, but I also like a 2nd or 3rd PU for coloration / options even tho I'll generally revert straight back to the (usually) greater P sound. but then comes the unresolved quandary of does a P/J have the true P and J sounds and I haven't been convinced either way yet. does a good J Bass have mojo? most likely, but a delicious P has mojo x mojo.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Mojo is in the mind or hands...depending on what school of thought you prescribe to.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. Can't vote, no carrot option

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    upload_2019-1-14_9-42-54.
    Oh goody! Here we go again.
    Will there be blood?
    Will there be bans?

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

while i use the term ("mojo") liberally, especially here on TB: i have always believed that it's the player...not the tool! so i had to choose mojo doesn't exist...even though i know it does! :D

whenever we see picks of axes with apparent "mojo" i have to use my imagination to get at what the instrument might possess in order to have "mojo." but when i hear/watch some players, at least at some moments = no imagination is necessary: the mojo is real! :D

Nevada Pete likes this.
  9. I have owned both. But, I was a last minute fill in at a church. I played the beat up x200? ibanez house bass. I brought my jazz the next night. It could not touch the beat up ibanez for sound. I sold the jazz, but I never have owned a ibanez. But i am back to a fender P.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Mojo around here is usually associated with time/age. The J is the new kid on the block, giving the edge to the P. In an alternate universe, where the J came out first, yes, the order will be reversed. If you ever find yourself suddenly in another universe, tread lightly until you learn the rules there.

11. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What exactly is the point, again?

Nevada Pete likes this.
  13. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    does 'mojo' really apply to an inanimate object ?? yes i realize the tree was alive at one point , but not now ...

some players seem to be under a 'spell ' ... = mojo ...

YMMV

TCSS likes this.
  14. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    P-bass goes better with sleeping on the lawn with a cigarette in your mouth, a night in jail, or waking up and finding out your kidney has been stolen. J-bass is more likely seen at a country club, or an art gallery opening.

15. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Mojo is in your fingers. A Warwick, Hofner, (Insert brand or style of bass here) will all have mojo in the right hands

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Mojo; Whatever...
    I just find the P more fun and more functional/versatile.

17. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    Speaking of mojo. Years ago in LA.

We once had an excellent guitarist come by out of nowhere and jam with the drummer and me. He was a bit crazy and wanted a glass of milk to settle his stomach.

He played our regular guitarist's cheap guitar. Really played well.

Well after he took off, I picked up that cheap guitar and damn it was inhabited with a translucent blue mojo vibe. Really played well although I can't really play guitar.

So yeah, mojo comes from artists but can translate into instruments.

instrumentalist and Ghastly like this.
  18. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    I thought the definition of mojo was:

"Moderate to severe cosmetic damage, whether from use or abuse, that I choose to view as a positive rather than as a negative, in order to justify a higher valuation for the instrument."

Therefore, either/neither has more mojo than the other. It's an attribute of each specific instrument.

steve_rolfeca, n1as and Kubicki Fan like this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What's greater, 5÷0 or 6÷0?

20. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    My calculator just says "error".