Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 21, 2001.

1. P-bass

27 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. J-bass

42 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Just wanted to spark a flame thread. :D which is better the P bass or j bass? in your opinion

2. there is no better, just different

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I had to vote for a P-bass 'cos that's what I've had for 10 years. It is out of ignorance though 'cos i've never even held a J-bass let alone played one - maybe it's time I enlightened myself!!

4. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I always go back to J. Just my opinion, but the J is more versitile for different sounds. The only change you can make on a P is my changing your right hand positions.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, it is.

I've got both and I like both. My current main bass is a J-style, though. The Fender P is semi-retired.

6. If I had to choose just one tone for the rest of my life, it'd be on a p bass, so I voted for that. But fortunately, I don't have to.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    In the end...ya gotta have both!!!

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    BOTH!! I'm a J guy mostly but I love the thump of a great Pbass. I'm trying to win a 83 P on Ebay right as we speak to go with my two Jazzes.

9. Has to be the J for me !

Stu

10. I own a Rickenbacker 4003, but I like the J bass tone. I love that Geddy Lee replica... wow!

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Jazz bass!

and it´s alittle bit more expensive than P...

can anyone explain why? (or just because the pickups?)

12. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I have both and I use both. Different basses for different styles and tones. If i had to choose one and one only.....p-bass. I love that woody sound, and it records a lot better too.

13. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    they are both great instruments. but my vote goes to the jazz

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, the extra pickup, The extra wiring, the extra volume knob and that metal control cavity cover add to the price of the J.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ok thanks!
    you are all pretty helpful

16. The funny thing about that is, it almost steered me away from the Jazz bass. I looked at the prices... $299.99 for the Jazz, $289.99 for the precision, i looked at my wallet $320. I almost went for the cheeper bass... i'm glad i didnt though. i voted J.

17. Gotta love the thump of the P, but I love MY J better, overall, Im more of a P man though.

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm personally a J guy. I have 4 "Jazz" basses but none of them are Fender.:) 1 Sadowsky (on order) 2 Warmoth's (a 4 & a 5) & a 70's Ibanez "lawsuit model."