Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P or J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Unfortunatly I have found myself becoming too wrapped up in technique and equipment. I am going back to the basics and attempting to "relearn" playing bass. I want to down-grade to a fender. BUT, I dont know which to get. Which is the most versitile of the two and which one would you recommend to someone who is going back to the basics? Thanks a lot.

Nate M

2. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    "downgrade to a Fender"? Excuse me?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well dytakeda, to some people Fender is not exactly top of the line, like it or not. There's been 30+ years of bass design since Leo introduced his basses.

nate, take a J, 2 pickups will always be more versatile than one, no matter what the P fans say.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    fender are among the best basses out there. maybe not the new one, but if you can wait and take a look around you'll find GREAT fender basses out there, expecially for guys like me that don't like a lot active electronics. the main difference between p and j for me is the neck. i like the sound of p but i feel more confortable on the neck of a j. hope to have a p soon too. they are great basses both.

5. more versatile? J's for sure
    Just plan better? J-basses kick ass, p-basses are just kinda there

6. I am not dogging fenders. I just want a basic instrument without all the fancy add-ons that some people enjoy. I have fancied myself with those for too long and I feel that my abilties are suffering. I am "downgrading" not to a worse bass but a more standard bass.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    if you want basic, go for the p bass. its the most basic bass in the world. my first bass was a squier p bass and I still love it (even though its a squier) because its so simple... its just the perfect bass. Everything about it is perfect. The shape of the body is THE most copied design ever, the electronics are passive with one volume and one tone knob, the neck is nice and chunky. I think you should go with the Precision. Its a classic and I just... love it so much.

8. The two most important things that seperate a J from a P are: A) the neck and B) the pickups.

My advice is to choose the one which has the neck you like best. Pickups are like assholes...everybody has one and if you like the neck (for instance) on the J bass better, but like the P Bass pickups you can change pickups very easily and still get the sound you want. Choose what feels best first.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IMO pre-cbs's are the best electric basses ever. I also wouldn't Go for a bass with a neck and change the pickup later because re-routing would be a pain. You may want to get a jazz bass neck on a p-bass or vise versa. Or you may want to get one of those hybrid basses. Also don't forget the shape. The p-bass shape is a little different than the jazz. I love them both. I own a p-bass, and i'm getting a jazz really soon.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    it will also be helpful for you to fill out your profile so we now what you're lookin' for.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    If you want a more versatile Fender, I say go for the Jazz. I also think they play/sound better than Precisions, but that's just my personal preference. I never liked Precisions much.

The only reason I might pick up a Precision at all someday is because I still find it fun to beat out Steve Harris lines once in a while. :D

Despite my preference for a Jazz, even I can't deny the important place the Precision has held in rock and roll history. Sure there were less choices for a bass back then, but they sound good regardless.