Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 15, 2003.

1. P bass or J bass, which do you prefer?

2. I like P's
    I think they look bad-ass

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Both. They're all good IMO.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    JP

5. Sorry guys, I posted this in an effort to bring bass related stuff to the top during the thwaping.

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    how can one determine which is better ? both rock big time,both sound sweet,both paved the way for EVERY other bass,both age gracefully,both are the choices for all the best bassists,both look cool:cool: ,i own one of each, and most of all i look and sound cool with either one.:D so how can i decide ? I CANT !so i'll just have to make sure i always have one of each at all times and places :bassist: so many companies out there are trying to improve on the bass designs,kinda like trying to re-invent the wheel :meh:

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I love both. I won't decide.. No offence Davy0, but it's like one of those stupid "yeah, but who's your BEST friend?" questions you had to answer in 1st grade. Am I wrong here? :D

[edit] I see now what you meant by posting this.. apparently I missed another Six Slinger Thwapfest. Goody. (insert another witty statement here relating to first grader mentality):meh:

8. I've always played a precision. But I wonder... does the Jazz have a deeper, fuller sound?!?

9. Having owned both, I prefer the J. It seems to have a more versitile array of tones. Both pickups up full and get a great slap tone. Back off the neck pickup and you're in Jacoville. I don't solo the neck pickup much, but I imagine you get more of a P tone doing that.