1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p or jazz bass? help me out please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Apr 1, 2006.

1. So another thread about which to pick, a precision or jazz bass. Im sure there are millions. But im wondering which would be a better choice for a cool gov't mule or allman bros sound. Its hard to say what allen used considering his collection of basses, but i know andy hess switched between some vintage p and jazz basses and berry used his modded starfire pickup jazz bass. I'm going for an american p or jazz and i love andy's playing on deja and he's great live but i love allen's sound man. what do you people think? I sold my old jazz awhile ago and im really hurting to get a fender again.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It really makes no difference. Lot's of that style of music has been played on both basses with a slight nod to the Jazz considering the Allman Brothers history. Just pick the one that sounds and feels the best and have fun!:bassist:

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It depends on what you want. I played JBs and various copies for 20+ years until I bought a Squier II P last week. This coincided with working up a bunch of early Neil Young tunes and the P nails that sound.

Other than that, I haven't arrived at any final conclusions. I just installed DiMarzio J models in my Carvin LB20, and it has suddenly started to sparkle again. Give me a couple of years...

...and I'll probably tell you, get 'em both!

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    get something with humbuckers! and coil tapping. you can typically get both p and j sounds simultaneously.

might i sgguest a fender roscoe beck?

OR, maybe a P/J configuration, like the fender aerodyne jazzes or the stu hamm signature.

just some ideas to give you both for your money.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    +1.

The MIA or MIM Fender Deluxe Precision bass is a good choice.

Ted

6. Personally I'd opt for the jazz - I mean, you've had one before so you know what to expect, the precision is a very different animal (the screw that holds the pickup in place is RIGHT where i rest my thumb nail...it can be a bit annoying) - I'd suggest get a MIM of both of them if you can afford an american - you may find a couple nice ones.

Not knocking the american ones (never played one) - but a coouple people on here say they're not worth the money and some of them can be rubbish - my MIM jazz has been compared to an american by my bass teacher (whos a seasoned pro who's had lots of experience both doing gigs and studio dates) - so don't rule out the mexicans...if you COULD find/afford nice examples of both, then I'd suggest that...just play loads of them both then decide which is best