1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P or PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Apr 14, 2009.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Ive been wanting to add a p bass to my line up but why not a pj, would i be missing any of the p bass sound wiyh a pj. if you had the j pup all the way off would there be any difference between the two considering everything else was the same?

2. If I had to pick between a P or a PJ (or J for that matter) - I'd definitely go for the PJ - more sound options.

EDIT: Have you looked at the Aerodyne?

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    You will get the p sound with a pj. I would get a PJ, it is a versatile beast. You are right that by soloing the p, it is the same as a p bass. The pj bass is an excellent bass.

4. The PJ config is AWESOME. The volume may be a tad unbalanced, but no biggie. For some reason, PJ basses are the red-headed stepchild of the bass community. :p

5. Jedisan

Jedisan

Feb 25, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    My PJ, a Warmoth build... one of my most favorite and best sounding basses I have.

[​IMG]

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I wish the PO hadn't added a J to my '78 P-bass - I'd prefer the simplicity of one good pickup in just the right spot.

But since the J is there, I do use it from time to time. Mostly to cut through for soloing.

7. barboom

barboom

Sep 23, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    except for a busted old rick copy, all my basses are PJs. It's a glorious configuration.

8. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Ya, PJ all the way... I mean you can't go wrong with a P but it's nice to have more options. There will be a slight volume difference between the 2 pickups when you solo each, so try to get 2 volume controls as opposed to a blend knob - big difference. And yes, it will sound just like a P when the J pickup is off.

9. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Thanks guys problem solved

10. There are times I like the cleaner lines and simplicity of just a p, especially since I mainly use just the p pickups. But my main gigging bass is a pj and there are times that the j pickup comes in handy.

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Love the P but the J alone doesn't do it for me; given a choice I prefer the PMM configuration.