1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P, or PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottyQBass86, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    Hey. So I'm thinking of building myself a bass (warmoth and such). I play mostly alt rock, reggae, dub, grunge. I know I want a four string (thinking of going natural finish, black pg, maple fretboard) with a jazz body and a p neck, but I'm split about pickups. I know I want a p pickup, but I'm thinking about a PJ. I like having all that free space back there when I'm playing harder with a pick, but does it really make that big a difference? Is there really anything to lose by having one?

P.S. I'm thinking of going with a dimarzio model p and model j, but do you guys have any other ideas?

2. Personally I think the J pickup gets in the way when I play with a pick. I like the tone of the PJ but it does kind of irritate me having it there. I have the Dimarzio PJ pickups in my Fender Lyte, and they're not bad at all. I rather like the aggressive tone they have.

3. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    I'm looking for a really aggressive sound, that'll distort a bit, but still have a ton of bass to it. something like a sledgehammer, on fire.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The 2nd pup can make a very big diff sound wise. Both when soloed and when blended with the other pup. A single pup bass can be very nice. But unless it does exactly everything you want the bass to do, a 2nd pup is best choice to add the versatility needed. I do have a single P pup bass, but it also has active 2band eq. It wont replace my two pup bass, but it does do exactly what I want it to do, so in this case a 2nd pup for it isnt desired.

5. By what sounds you described habe you considered like a MM humbucker? So what like the old deluxes looked like?

6. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    a-step-towards, do you mean in conjunction with the P? or just a MM by itself?

darkstorm, i'm totally with you logically that it can't really hurt, only add some versatility, but does it ever get in the way of picking, like eaglemoon said?