1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/P Bass Completed (Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWaffle, Oct 9, 2019.

1. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I posted a thread a few weeks ago theorizing a specific pickup configuration for one of my basses, a Peavey Fury (split-coil version).

It involved routing in a second P pickup. I wanted to have an extra DG routed up against the EA of the original, on the neck side, and an extra EA routed up against the original DG, on the bridge side. I would then end up with two reverse-P pickups right up against each other. If I explained this poorly, the pictures below should help.

I mulled over different wiring options, getting into some pretty obnoxiously complicated ideas, before settling on a simple Volume, Tone, and a 4 way telecaster style switch. The switch, from neck to bridge, would be Neck-Parallel-Bridge-Series.

I sent all this info to the guy who has been doing a killer job with my setups for the past year, and a week later, I got it back. He sent me pictures of the process:

IMG_5422.
    IMG_5425. IMG_5427.

And finally:

71941964_711345059276586_2923483950900838400_o. 71714792_711345022609923_6602510227499646976_o. 72951765_711345095943249_1176016235247173632_o.

Alright, down to specifics.

I really can't tell you how much this exceeded my expectations. To be honest I just thought it would sound a bit better, balance the string output, and look interesting, but no, every one of the positions sounds incredible.
    Part of that has to do with the general pickup upgrade; the two DiMarzio Model Ps are really powerful. During the rewiring, he switched out the 250k pots for 500k and I asked him to switch the tone cap to a .033uF. What I ended up with is a really beefy low end with a hyper-detailed, almost active sounding high end, I am assuming partly due to the pots since I have read these pickups are supposed to be rather dark.

While the pickups are each one-half of the original pickup position, they sound really distinct. The neck pickup on its own sounds like a very full precision tone, and the bridge curbs a bit of the low bass and gives a punchy bridge tone without really sounding nasal. The parallel setting is a bit nebulous to me at the moment, for some reason it sounds very similar to the neck pickup but with a change of character in the highs and maybe mids. Sounds nothing like the bridge pickup though. It sounds good but I can't see myself in a situation where I would prefer it over one of the other pickups
    In series this thing is a monster, and I am glad because being able to run two P pickups in series was one of the things I was looking most forward to. It really just sounds how you would expect based on what I have told you so far: Louder, more bass, more low mids, more growl, basically a boost.

All of these positions sound crushing through my rig, which is an always-on Triode Beelzebub into a GK 700RB-II, set flat. In the effects loop is a Rane DC24 compressor, crossover set around 150Hz with the bass side boosted just a hair. This all goes to a SWR Goliath Jr III and Son of Bertha, 2x10 and 1x15 respectively. It really is one of my favorite live tones I think I have achieved. It sounds both raw and hefty, and gets some impressive clank especially when I throw on a heavier OD before the Beelzebub. I had the tech keep the same strings on, which are Extra Slinky (.95) Cobalt Flats, and they sound really full and have good high end, as well as being effortless to play. I want to get some medium tension nickel rounds on there at some point to really get things going but right now this is really doing it for me.

The best thing about the pickups being so close is that while the switch positions sound distinct and would have different uses, they all sound very much like they are coming from the same bass, if that makes sense. They are all within the same sonic territory, so I will be able to switch between them at shows and still keep all my amp/pedal settings the same, and I will be able to maintain a consistent overall sound from song to song.

Only downside so far is that pickups now cover (and chipped, understandably, during routing) the coolest parts of the nail polish paint job I did to the pickguard, leaving mostly the parts I messed up lol. I will be redoing it sometime soon.
    Remember folks, no bass is ugly! :D

I will try to have some recordings up later this week with the different positions and using different playing styles. I recorded with the original configuration before sending it off, so we will be able to compare directly.

Thanks for reading!

BassmanM, Wisebass, garp and 6 others like this.
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Very cool.
    I can definitely appreciate the "obnoxiously complicated" part – went through the same thing on a Telecaster project. My luthier/tech finally put his foot down and had me make a short list of priorities from which we mutually chose the final configuration.

3. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    Haha yep, it was basically a progression of "wait no, actually I want this!" for me. He was a good sport and was willing to go along with everything i threw at him, but i figured i didn't want an unusably complicated bass either lol so i calmed myself down and landed on this. Probably would have charged me more too, justifiably

4. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    maybe there is space also for a TelecasterBass humbucker at the neck.
    For a small precision single coil (like the one in the Sting's bass) for sure.

BassWaffle likes this.
  5. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I have thought of putting a rick neck pickup right against the heel of the neck, but honestly i think this bass is complete as is. It does a few cool things very well, and that's all i need it to do. I am fortunately at a place right now where i have enough basses to not feel like each of them needs to cover a ton of tonal ground

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    "Nail polish paint job" on the pickguard? Please, do tell what you did!

BassWaffle likes this.
  7. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I actually stole the idea from BeauZooka:
    Painting my pickguard
    Check out post #12. His turned out way better, but it's really that simple. I used four or five colors, and just poured them on. It wasnt enough to cover the tips so i had to manually paint those, next time I'll probably change my approach; either more nail polish or some sort of basin for it to pool in.
    I have a good variety of colors, so for this one I chose black, a metallic blue-purple, pink glitter, a sort of perriwinkle, and maybe a bit of a turqoise-tinted sky blue. Probably an unnecessary step, but i then gave it 3 coats of a gloss sealer spray.
    With the cream pickup covers in there, i might change the palette a bit next time.

I really recommend it, it was fun and easy, and free if you already own a bunch of nail polish.