P/P basses - anybody here played one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 19, 2005.

1. I am interested in installing another P-Bass pickup in a P-Bass. Anybody here every played one like this? What did you think? Any suggestions on how I might do it? I have a Dremel with routing attachment and I know I can get a template from Stewmac.com, but how can I do it so it looks good without having to spend a bunch of money?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I played a BC Rich a number of years ago with 2 P pickups and it had alot of bottom.
  3. How did the bridge pup sound soloed? Was it passive or active? I'm thinking of doing this to an SX P-Bass.
  4. bluesgeek

Jun 27, 2004
    I'd be interested in hearing about this too :) Quite fancy two P's myself :) I'm sure the wiring will be a doddle - just get the jbass diagram from mr gearhead and do it so there is two vols and a tone.
  5. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    the bass player in the moody blues has a p w/ 3 p-pickups,i can't remember how it sounded,check out the recordings
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    check out the DVD Calle 54, one of the bassists has a dual P 6 string - this bass sounds great

7. I read another post that suggested having the bridge P in reverse position so that the pickup for the D and G strings are further away from the bridge. The concern is that if they are so close to the bridge they would be tinny and quiet. I'm not sure if i like the way that looks.
  8. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Session bassist Leland Sklar has a P-style bass with two P pups with reverse mounting but as I remember neither of them was in the stock position. There was an article about him and it in an issue of Bassplayer last (I think) year.
  9. I distinctly recall John Entwistle using such a bass. Any Who buffs out there who could pin down a recording with said bass?
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Buzzard bass....the grail!
  11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have an '82 BC Rich Mockingbird with reversed Dimarzio P's and it sounds great. I can use them passive or active with series/prallel switches for each, and the 4 position varitone works all the time. I am partial to Dimarzio's for their midrange bump - they really cut and still sound very full. If I were to put in 2 P's from scratch I would definitely reverse mount them (or at least the bridge) - it definitely helps keep the D & G from getting too tinny.
    I tend to use this passive - the active boost feature has to be used very sparingly or turns it into a brute. This is one of my favorite basses for playability and sound.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Other than the MockingBird, I've played a Black Rose P-bass with two P's and Ibanez put out an EX model that was offered with 2 P's...

As for a 6 string with a couple of P' Pups: The Peavey TL6 (Tim Landers 6).
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, if you do do it to an SX - tell me how it goes; I wanna try it...
  14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I played a BC Rich P/P. It sounded awful, twice as bad as a P-Bass.
  15. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    some older Yamaha TRBp's came in this config.. they pop up on ebay every once in a while
  16. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I may be wrong, but, doesn't bootsy's bass have 3 p pickups?

17. i think its like 3 J pickups
  18. I like the way double P's sound. I had a BC Rich warlock with a couple of EMGs in it that sounded pretty good and could get a number of tones while always sounding fat and punchy. The P's in Warlocks are more regular though, with one closer to the bridge and one closer to the neck. Adding one to a P bass might sound a little weird since one is already in the center, and the other will be very close to the bridge.
  19. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I have owned 3 (and still have 1) Fender Precision Elite II models. They are active double P's. I've used mine live a few times. I'm sure it is a vastly different sound than what you would get with 2 passive P's. I suspect the passive double P will give you a "rounder" sound than what you would get with an Elite.
  20. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I swear he has about a thousand versions of that star bass.
    here's one with 2 p's and to j's

and one with 3 j's