P-P-J pick-up system...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LeftyBass, Mar 8, 2001.

1. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Hey, I juts got a hold of an set of P-J Pickups from an old Ibanez bass. I was thinking I would replace the P-style pickups in my old old old project bass with them. Then I got to thinking... Why not put BOTH pickup systems in it? Keep the p-bass system where it is and put the P half of the P-J up at the neck, and the J half down at the bridge? Have to custom make a pickgaurd for it, but who cares? It's got a home made pickgaurd on it already. I have a carpenter friend who says he'll rout it out for me if I want to do it.

So, what do ya'll think? Am I crazy? Am I a genius? Is it just a stupid idea? :) Talk at me, guys!
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The idea sounds crazy, but the result may sound great. Like a smi-Stu Hamm-Fender?
    Try it!
  3. I have a Renaissance Bass that has 2 reverse P-style PUs, the neck pick up right up by the neck and the other closer to the bridge than normal bridge , it sounds big and throaty and mixed with the bridge pick up I get a lot more colors than the ususl PJ set up.
  4. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Awsome, I think I'll do it! I like big meaty bass... Gotta wait till after spring break though, I think. I have to have this old bass as backup when I go to Panama City Beach to play over the break. So, I'll prolly wait, but as soon as I get back... it's project time baby!
  5. Cfunk

Aug 17, 2000
    I think the idea of splitting the components of the p style pick-up is very cool. Good for you. I look forward to hearing the results of your experiment. Please keep us appraised.

I am working with a luthier who said if the two components of the p style pickup are not in close proximity that the hum canceling effect is diminished greatly and the separated pick-ups could be very noisy. I pass this bit of info on for your consideration.

Obviously the hum canceling on a Jazz bass works across a significant separation but perhaps the fact all four strings are covered on each pick-up makes a difference.

Maybe some one else on the list can comment on this.

Another thought. Have you thought about reversing the relative position of the pick-ups ( ie the pick-up for the D/G strings would be forward of the pick-up for the E/A strings) ? I think that Spector used to do this. Sadowsky offers it as an option and I believe Sheldon Dingwall is experimenting with this. It would emphasize the bass component of the D/G strings a bit more and give the E/A strings a little more bite.

If this separation thing works it could create some very cool sonic possibilities.
  6. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Actually, I'm going to have to reverse the position of one set of p-pups b/c they are from a righty bass and they are going into a lefty bass. I never really thought about what that would sound like, but it sounds like something that would sound pretty neat.