Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/P pickup config (a la Buzzard LTD2003)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Have any of you fellas/ladies tried the P/P config of the Buzzard? How about both P pups being similar in alignment (eg, non-reversed like the buzzard)? What kind of sound is this? Would it be worth modifying a Squier to do this?

2. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    i have the same config on my warwick ltd corvette. it sounds really good. it has a great flexibility in the sound. the only problem was that at first it was hard to get used to because the pickups for the D and G strings were so close together, and the pickups on the E and A strings were so far apart. but now that im used to it its one of my favorite basses iv played.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/85342223/87057524eTDbFh

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Whoa! My copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown came today and in the transcription section, there's a picture of Gerald Veasley with a sixer using a PP config. Four controls, ridiculously small headstock (3+3 posts, bent back, black truss rod cover, manufacturer's symbol (I can't see what it is) above the A string post). Yamaha RBX-looking body style, a place where there WAS a thumbrest (once again, Yamaha looking style thumbrest), four controls, black hardware and it looks almost like there are piezos on the bridge. The input jack goes on an angle almost at the front (similar to an Ibanez Ergodyne), and there's 24 frets. The pickups aren't reversed like that Corvette or the Buzzard. Non-exposed pole pieces, and writing on the covers (in the corner, not Basslines, EMGs, or DiMarzio). What is this monster?

Metalgod, how does the PP config take to techniques? How does it sound for slap, pick, tap, fingerstyle, teeth, etc? Well...maybe not teeth, but you know.

4. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    like i said its very flexible in sound. its a warwick so its amazing for tapping the slap sound (what style i mostly use) is great. its also the only bass i have ever heard that sounds good with a pick.