1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/P pickup configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm sure there's a simple reason for this, but... there's lots of basses with P/J pickup configurations.... is there something about a P/P configuration that doesn't work well? There are a few basses configured this way... but very few. Explain it to me....

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    When you get back to the bridge, the difference in the placement of the two halves of the P style pickup makes for a noticeable difference between the EA and DG strings.

3. Cebe

Cebe

Jan 29, 2008
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    [​IMG]

heag2520j4035.

4. I've just renovated an old Vantage with PP config - the bridge really snarls and both together is very smooth.

I can't say I've noticed any disparity between the pairs of str

5. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I believe Lee Sklar (one of my bass heroes) has a P/P configuration on a custom bass that he uses often. I've seen it done a few times but it's not as common as the P/J. I'm asking these questions cause my MIA P is with me for the long haul... I'm not into owning a million instruments... would rather have one that's somewhat tricked out and personalized... so I'm considering having another P/U installed in the bridge zone. Just wondering if my even considering a P/P configuration is just silly or one of those "not such a bad idea" things....

6. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I think the big thing is that it's just considered impolite to play with your P/P on stage, take Jim Morrison for example.

7. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Ah, thanks BryanM for your insightful and overly intelligent advice. But on to my next actually serious and wanting to know question.... I'm actually considering doing this, but, what might be a good choice be for that pup? I just have the stock Fender pup at the moment, like the sound, don't need to change that one, but would that same pup be a good choice for the new one in the bridge position? Any thoughts?

8. bass_69

bass_69

Dec 10, 2007
    Australia
    I have a cheapy p-bass copy that I have just routed out a spot for a bridge p.. I wacked in a Duncan quarter pounder and wired it volume/volume (no tone control) and it sounds great to me. The QP sounds so much more punchy than a J pickup in that spot to me. I have always like p/j basses ( I own a Maton JB4 for those who know)..I am starting to think the p/p might be "my" configuration.. There are so many pickups out there with so many different sounds that can be combined so do whatever you want.. A harsher ceramic at the bridge and a smoother alnico at the neck or visa versa.. I say go for it !