Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/P v J/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Sep 4, 2005.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Just wondering how a P/P pup configuration ala precision bass elites would sound like? I have never heard one in action before. Would it sound like a Jazz bass or a bass with humbuckers?

Any one got any clips?

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've actually never played one...huh...but if I had to guess, I'd say it makes a lot more sense that it'd sound like hums. Wouldn't sound like a jazz, anyway.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Leland Sklar uses a p/p franken fender for some James Taylor and other studio work. BC Rich makes a few p/p versions as well.

4. The bridge P would probably be brighter and have more "crunch" to it.

5. I've played a 70's BC Rich Mockingbird with a P/P setup. I've not played a bass that sounded so massive since. The two P's in series sounded gigantic, even through a crappy ampeg 15" combo. Also, there's something about a P pickup in a bridge position that's really cool. It's still thick like a P but with a pronounced midrange burp and less bass. Definitly a very cool sound.
    The Fender Elite P II's from the 80's had P/P(teeheehee;))pickups as well as being active. I've never played one though.

6. I was wondering the kind of sounds you'll get with a P/P...
    Perhaps the spectrum must be wide....??

Vince

7. You wouldn't have that damn hum like you get from a bridge J, which would be cool. I may have to break out the chisels (I'm scared of routers, and I don't own one anyway).

8. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've had two Elite IIs. The Precision Elite II doesn't really sound like a Precision to my ears. It's a great bass and it offers many many sounds but the pickups are not the plain old Precision pickups we know and love.

I would really like to hear a bass with two REAL P pickups!

9. It will most definately not sound like a jazz because a J pickup is single coil while a P-Bass pickup is split coil and humbucking. My guess is that it would sound somewhere between a dual humbucker bass and a dual humbucker Stingray.

10. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002

I'm hazarding a guess that "your smiling face" would be an example of a p/p configuration then?

11. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I am a huge fan of the bridge P-pick-up. I have played a few basses (Fender, B.C. Rich) and basses the P-bridge pick-up look and sounds cool. I personally think 2 p-bass (bridge, middle) pick-ups are the best of all worlds, and smoke the J-J. they don't sound like a jazz or a p-bass, a little more modern.

Although I am a fan of Fender P-Bass Elites, I was never too keen on thier bridges, and electronics, the white pick-up covers did look cool. It also came in ash body, sienna sunburst (YUM!).

A moden Precision Elite reissue is definately one of my dreams. Over the years, I have had a couple of chances to pick-up some 80s Fender Precision Elites http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=42 there were 2 at the GC here in Dallas for a long time (a natural, and a sienna sunburst) both eventually sold.

I found a 80's sienna p-bass elite, but the bass was in average shape, and it would of cost me several hundred dollas to replace the bridge, pick-ups, knobs, pots, etc. which were damaged.

I would LOVE Fender to reissue to an updated P-Bass Elite with White covered EMG's a Badass bridge, deluxe EQ, ash bodies, sunburst colors (not the quiltish jazz 24 finish). I'd be first in line to get one. this bass is my GAS!

If they put the 24-fret neck (a solid US feeling one, the Jazz 24 neck feels cheep/icky) with big old blocks on ebony fretboard, gold hardware, EMG B/T for each pick-up. I'd be in heaven. I think this bass would easily compete with the big boys and look more killer to boot.

---Lee Sklar did make a "franken-bass" with EMGs in the bridge and neck (more neck than middle) positions. He installs his p-pick-ups reversed, like a Spector (high string coils closer to the neck). http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html here is a link to some p-bass elites and a rare Sklar signature. and an interview http://www.mikevisceglia.com/jan2003.html

He used mandolin fret wire too. BTW- I have seen him endorse 3 different amps in the last 2 years: GK microbass, i-amp800 and now those new digital Yamaha ones.