1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-P vs P-J configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by crguti, Dec 1, 2014.

1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I'm interested in a B.C. Rich Warlock bass, mainly bcs of the look. But this bass has a P-P configuration rather than the P-J which is more common.
    How does it sound a Precision pickup compared to a Jazz pickup in the bridge?

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't know. If I wanted to find out I would look for some PP basses on YouTube. The other one that I know of is the Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass. There was a thread recently on Lee Sklar's custom PP bass. Check that out, it may mention some other basses you could look for on YouTube. You can also look for some of Sklar's recordings although we don't always know what bass he used on a given recording. If you look for Sklar on YouTube you might find some videos where you could confirm which bass was used and you might turn up some videos of basses that owners modified to have the PP configuration.

Best I can do, anyone else?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    It's give you a meatier sound; perfect for metal. There's a reason it's PP not PJ - BC Rich would have poured time and effort into making 'the best bass for metal' so to speak, as it's what they're known for.

5. Double P setups are remarkably rare, so obviously PJ is more common.

You can expect a better blend-ability with a double P setup, in general, because of the similar output impedances. In PJ setups, one pickup tends to dominate the other.

PawleeP and SteveCS like this.
  6. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL

Pops OB likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021