P pick up + Rick neck toaster on rickenfaker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basiroti, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Hey all

I'm about to get my hands on this rickenfaker bodymaple neck through basswood body build

I love my 90s Am Standard P, sounds great picked, and through overdrive it almost does a Ricky tone. It's low-end packs a ton of wallop which compete with my Drum machines.

I need a bass to make post-punk/drum machine-y type music with, and the thump of my kicks are around 90-100Hz.

Was thinking of setting the P pickup sit relative to a Fender P, since it sounds so sick on my Am standard P I'm trying to (futilely) bottle that lightning.
    Then I was thinking of adding a Ricky neck toaster and a blend.

I want something w/ the low-mid of my PBass + Ricky treble.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree though?

Maybe if I want low mids + treble I should be using other pickup configs all together? There's something so perf about an aggressively picked Pbass that I want to preserve, but I want it to cut my mixes w/ less effort and effects.
    I absolutely have to be able to get a Fascination Street by the Cure type tone, that's basically my ideal tone.

Attached Files:

2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Stu Cook did it, so it can be done!

486.jpg

The only problem I can imagine is any issue with impedance or phase mismatching. However you are simply pairing a P pickup with a single coil, which is what a PJ pickup set is!

Second thought, but I would expect the opposite results from your setup. The Rickenbacker pickup in the neck position should provide a more solid low-mid response than the P pickup, and the P pickup should provide the treble bark. You could even add a switchable vintage/modern setting like new Rickenbacker basses have.

Basiroti likes this.
  3. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Haha, can you wire the P splitcoils so you only get one half of them (rendering it a single coil) and have a blend nob that could treat the neck toaster, and both halves of the P as 3 pickups?

EDIT: The intention is for more of a bass that can cut so I've been thinking of Delano PMVC 4 FE/M2

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022