1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pick up + Rick neck toaster on rickenfaker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basiroti, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Hey all

I'm about to get my hands on this rickenfaker bodymaple neck through basswood body build

I love my 90s Am Standard P, sounds great picked, and through overdrive it almost does a Ricky tone. It's low-end packs a ton of wallop which compete with my Drum machines.

I need a bass to make post-punk/drum machine-y type music with, and the thump of my kicks are around 90-100Hz.

Was thinking of setting the P pickup sit relative to a Fender P, since it sounds so sick on my Am standard P I'm trying to (futilely) bottle that lightning.
    Then I was thinking of adding a Ricky neck toaster and a blend.

I want something w/ the low-mid of my PBass + Ricky treble.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree though?

Maybe if I want low mids + treble I should be using other pickup configs all together? There's something so perf about an aggressively picked Pbass that I want to preserve, but I want it to cut my mixes w/ less effort and effects.
    I absolutely have to be able to get a Fascination Street by the Cure type tone, that's basically my ideal tone.

Attached Files:

2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Stu Cook did it, so it can be done!

The only problem I can imagine is any issue with impedance or phase mismatching. However you are simply pairing a P pickup with a single coil, which is what a PJ pickup set is!

Second thought, but I would expect the opposite results from your setup. The Rickenbacker pickup in the neck position should provide a more solid low-mid response than the P pickup, and the P pickup should provide the treble bark. You could even add a switchable vintage/modern setting like new Rickenbacker basses have.

Basiroti likes this.
  3. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Haha, can you wire the P splitcoils so you only get one half of them (rendering it a single coil) and have a blend nob that could treat the neck toaster, and both halves of the P as 3 pickups?

EDIT: The intention is for more of a bass that can cut so I've been thinking of Delano PMVC 4 FE/M2

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018