1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pickup! Active or passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Aug 17, 2017.

1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    Putting together a warnoth build
    Maple neck and fretboard
    2 tek bridge
    Roasted swamp ash

I'm trying to go for a pino/jamerson type vibe

Which pickup should I use for tubby low end

Im good with either active (EMG) or passive but I want to keep the volume tone scenario

La bella flats always are a given :hyper:

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fender Original 62 pickups + .1uf Cap(Roll off the tone) + Labella Jamerson set/ TiJf344 + Ampeg B15 + 8 in long finger/ Hook finger.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  3. gareth travis

gareth travis

Aug 19, 2017
    Passive all the way for me ... u say "tubby" low end and mention 2 artists there ... but an ash body with a maple fretboard will surely be a bit snappier/brighter on average?
    I would imagine a rosewood (when the law allows) 'board with an alder body might get you closer to your tonal goal?

4. Passive.

5. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Go passive.
    My personal favorite passive P pickup for a vintage tone is Aguilar's AG4P-60.

But, There are plenty of other great pickups to choose from also.

6. Nothing wrong with active pickups and onboard preamps but if it is something you like, don't get a PBass or don't install that in a PBass it is akin to mounting road tires on a $4k downhill mountain bike...just get a road bike.
    Duncan SPB1 or Fender Original 62 with a 0.1 tone cap is a sure bet.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. Active pickups were invented in Jamerson's lifetime, but not popularized until after his death. Why would you consider active pickups for an old school vibe?

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Passive! I don't know 4 string pickups well at all, but Nordstrand NP5 pickups are tubby, to the point of them being a little more dark the Fenders. I like them. I'm guessing the NP4 is similar. But I don't claim to be an authority...an expert in P pickups will come along shortly I'm sure.

9. If you want to know how an EMG active split-coil sound, listen to Victor Wooten. Cool stuff bit totally NOT old school.