P-pickup *directly* to jack, nothing else ? doable ? GO or NO ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funky40, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Funky40

Funky40

Apr 16, 2021
    Switzerland
    Hello Bassenthusiasts,

tl;dr:
    The title says it all, finally. ......GO or NO ?

in case you want to read more: / my point and query:
    i want to reshape the body, for studio, sitting in the chair uses,
    thus would it be helpful, at least for a first take, to just throw out any electronics,
    since i want to cut off the body, exactly where these parts are placed

my wish/plan: wire the pup *directly" to the out jack ! maybe just a on-off switch inbetween, nothing else. Is there anything speaking against it ? ( i do not need "these" controls. An on-off switch will do )

Its a *very cheap* 4 string Bass, one P-pickup. Volume + Tone control, passiv.
    I might give that Bass a better P-pup, like the "Fender pure vintage 63",
    or a duncan quarter puond.......

my signal chain: The bass goes to: Empress comp - Oracle pre,
    so i have plenty of gain shape options there.
    the stock electronics is anyway poopie as fu...ooops :laugh: Nobody needs such.

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    An on/off switch could give you a nasty click when used. I've tried that once, but I have no clue what kind of switch I used. Mine plopped which sounded too harsh and too bad for comfort in front of an amp at gig volume.

The sound will most likely have more highs, since you're going direct and not through the pots.

groooooove, BritFunk and Funky40 like this.
  3. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    try this, why not, it's an easily done and reversible mod. if you search TalkBass for 'straight to jack', you'll get some opinions on what it will sound like.

also there exist no-load pots that don't affect the sound when open, they will give you both options in one bass.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    IMO and IME..........by wiring direct, all you are going to get is a little bit more clarity. Do you really want a brighter, clearer and snappier bass sound? Ya probably already got the high eq on your amp for more "snap".

Fender sells a No Load tone pot that allows the signal to go from the volume pot and then direct to the jack. By passes the tone pot until it is turned.

Also to consider, 1 meg pots are pretty much direct from pickup to jack. (I know, I have trouble understanding it also, the lower the ohm on a pot the more the tone is subdued. The higher the ohm on a pot, the more direct the signal to the jack.........duh! I can't understand it.)

lizardking837, MAXSPINRUN and Funky40 like this.
  5. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Go for it . I have done it with guitars in the past but never the bass . My bass rig is minimal by choice so need tone / vol on the bass . 5 minutes with the soldering iron before you cut up the bass would be time well spent . I love the minimal vibe as simplicity means less to go wrong . I would leave out the switch by choice but if you put one in , wire it to short out the pickup rather than disconnect it . I have done this on a couple of guitars to have a mute . Let us know how it turns out

BritFunk, Funky40 and Crater like this.
  6. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Yes. Connect the pickup hot to jack tip, pickup ground to to jack sleeve, finally add a 120 kOhm resistor between jack tip and jack sleeve and it will sound just like stock.

7. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    A 5 - 10M resistor across the switch terminals will help with the pop.

8. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    Don't wire the on/off switch to break the connection to Tip, instead wire it to take the Tip to Ground.
    You won't need any resistors, unless there's still a problem with popping or if it's too bright.

lucas303, JonathanPDX and Funky40 like this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Wait, what? The shape of a P body is designed specifically to be comfortable to play while sitting. What exactly is your problem with it -- and could it be solved by just using a different kind of chair or something rather than doing all this cutting and rewiring?

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    The pot controls how much of the signal goes to ground - i.e. stripped away. The higher the resistance, the less signal is getting lost. So contrary to the way you might think a volume control works, when it is fully "open" (no resistance) the output of the bass will be "off". That's because without the resistance all of the signal is being grounded out. When at maximum resistance, very little of the signal is getting grounded out, so the output is at its loudest. It's similar with the tone pot, but there's a capacitor between the pot and ground acting as a frequency filter.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Unmost, NCBaker, blastoff and 8 others like this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    :thumbsup: Thanks a million...........I need to print up your post and hang it on my bulletin board.

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have done FOH a bunch of times, and I would advise you to have some sort of volume control or kill switch somewhere in your rig. It doesn't have to be on the bass, it can be on your pedalboard, but whatever it is, it should be before the point where someone will insert a DI. If you don't, and you leave your bass on a stand with the thing wide open, somewhere, sometimes, it's gonna cause feedback (or hum or buzz, or.....), and the FOH person you're working with will be "less than pleased".

13. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Isn't the Nikki Sixx Epiphone Thunderbird bass wired like this? I get wanting to bypass a tone pot, but having a volume is so intuitive to adjust volume.

Seems like no volume pot would be like riding one of those bikes with no brakes.

14. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I did this on one of my basses. It works fine. A little brighter (as others have mentioned).

Engineers hate it.

I do not recommend this mod. If the engineer wants a little extra brightness, there are much easier ways to achieve that.

15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    CAN you do it? Yes.
    SHOULD you do it? Sure, if you want to, but as others have pointed out, having the ability to turn down the volume is very useful, for a number of reasons.

GodsLove66 and Funky40 like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    What you are describing is a single variable resistor shunting the pickup. It's not quite that simple - there are two resistances involved when a pot is used as in a potentiometer mode (what a P bass uses for a volume control). With the pot wide open on a P bass (volume at full) one of the two resistances (the one between the pickup and the output on a P) is indeed zero. At minimum gain, that resistance is the pot value, and the other resistor (between the output and ground) is zero. In a P bass, the pickup is never shorted to ground.

A VVT wired Jazz also has two resistances involved on each control; the topology is different. One of them in that case is a shunt from the pickup to ground. Still, when one of the volumes at max, the resistance between that pickup and the output (the other resistance) is zero. The big disadvantage (there is more than one) of that scheme is that it's using resistive loading to shunt a source that's reactive - it's a combination of volume and tone control, not just a volume control.

markanini and Funky40 like this.
  17. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I wired the pickup direct to the jack on my 80's Precision Special when the active circuit failed. No switch. It worked fine. I used a graphic EQ pedal for a little tone control.

I've wondered why I don't see this kind of thing more often.

Tom

Funky40 likes this.
  18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    It worked great for Anthony Jackson and his Fodera. Go for it.

kobass and Funky40 like this.
  19. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    If you can’t sit comfortably with your bass your need a different chair, don’t chop your bass up! As the saying goes: move the bridge not the river.

20. Funky40

Funky40

Apr 16, 2021
    Switzerland
    Wow, great input ! Much appreciated !

to make it clear: i´m a homestudio user only. No FOH Man who has to deal with me, haha

- The Bass is right now in "conversion state" to headless.........
    I have a router in the mail, the headless tuners are here allready. The installation won´t be fun with these tuners.......well, i´ll go thru it. (height adjustment will be tricky, if not a nightmare / NOVA tuners. they´ll look good otherwise ). Have to take off a bit of the wood, where the headless tuners come to sit.

- The whole Bass was 90$, shipped, new.
    - The tuners were something like 150.- shipped, i guess
    This Bass will become super super light !!.....so, yes, "thats" even gonna be a match i guess.

What a great community you are ! .......wowsers

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022