1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pickup mod for Jaguar bass MIJ/CIJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cartoonist, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Cartoonist

Cartoonist

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    Hi,

The drawcard for me to a Jag bass is primarily the P/J combo. I'd be more than happy with the Modern Player instrument but I cannot find one here in Australia, but there are plenty of MIJs available - which I do like for a few other reasons. But they have different pickup arrangements.

I'm wondering if there would be a benefit in modifying a Japanese Jaguar bass by replacing the neck pickup with a passive/active P bass style pickup - similar to other versions of the bass (MIA, Modern Player). I want to try to get as close to a P / J option as is possible with this instrument. Would this do it, i.e. get me to a nice P type sound compared with the stock? Obviously the pickup slot shape is different and I figured that could be sorted out with a router / pickguard change.

Has anyone tried this, or have any recommendations either way?

Many thanks!

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

The pickup cavities are different, so you would end up with gaps when routing out and installing the p pickups. Also beware that it's not just the pickup that gives you a p-j sound. It is the pickup position as well. I would never butcher a MIJ Jag. They sound awesome the way they are.

3. Cartoonist

Cartoonist

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    Cool - thanks FW. I'll see how I go, I usually can't help myself modifying stuff.

From my rough measurements (ruler on the screen) it appears that the newer Jags put the neck-most piece of the P pickup in the same position as the neck J pickup on the Japanese model. This is more neck heavy than a real P bass. But it makes it a fairly straightforward routing job for the MIJ to have the same P/J functionality as the newer models.

That said, I probably should leave the poor thing alone.