1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pickup Mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RED J, Jan 7, 2012.

1. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Hey all,

Just wanted to bounce an idea off everyone, maybe new, maybe old I dunno.I noticed at some point working on a project that it is easy to take a ceramic mag/ slug pickup and remove the magnets with some heat and drift out the slugs. The winding does not rest on the slugs but they run thru a small shaft, and the windings are wrapped around the shafts so no damage occurs. I have several MIM or generic P pickups in my junk. I bought some alnico rod magnets of the correct diameter and am going to replace the slug ceramic arrangement in a couple to try in project basses.

Just looking for any comments or observations from local pickup goo-roos etc. i'm not expecting an original '62 as a result but just a fun and cheap upgrade to an SX, old MIM, Squier etc. Thanks !

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It will give you a different tone. Assuming the coil is wound well and is up to spec, it should make it sound more like a traditional P pickup.

But just because it uses steel poles and ceramic magnets is not a bad thing. Some very good pickups are made that way. But often the chap ceramic magnets are too weak, and sometimes the coil is not wound well.

But it should give you the tone you are expecting.

3. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Thanks, SGD. I'm with you, I am not necessisarily against ceramic and slug, Just think the ones I have sound a litttle boxy, and am looking for a more traditional tone. Many thanks.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The boxy sound might be helped by alnicos, since they have less inductance than the steel poles, but you might find it's the way the coil is wound too.

I've heard of people doing it with Strat pickups, so it's worth a try.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    for a laugh, you could maybe do them like dimarzio ultra jazz pickups, by pressing out and replacing the steel slugs with alnico magnets while keeping the ceramic bars underneath as "boosters".

6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Resurecting an old thread, but I did it. I took an old MIM ceramic and slug P pickup and turned it to alnico. Removed the old slugs and magnets, Put in tne new alnicos. Got the poles flush with the tops of the covers. Put a drop of cyano at the base of each pole and re-installed the pickup. It's in an SX short scale P, With Fender nylon tapewound strings. It sounds good. Got rid of the "boxy" sound of the old pickup, nice thumpy vintage sound with pretty even response across the poles.

I can't really compare it to my standard P with original 62's and rounds, but I did get what I wanted. Cheap fun project. Try it on one of yours.