Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P pickup shaped like a J pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Keh, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Keh

Keh

Aug 30, 2001
    USA
    Let me start by saying that I have a MIM Fender J-bass that I really like. I like the shape and size of the neck, and I like the body style. However, since buying it I have come to prefer the sound of a P-bass.

My question is: Does a pickup exist that has the P sound, but the J-pickup shape? If so, make/model information would be appreciated.

If not, why? I suppose the P pickup has the split shape for a reason, but is there any technical reason it couldn't be made in a J-pickup shape while still providing the same sound?

Thanks for your replies.

2. itd be hard if not impossible to get the exact P sound on a J just cause of position of the pickups. Jazz Pickups are the the bridge (which makes the jazz growl and sound sort of thin) and at the neck (where it sounds really full). The P's pups are at the middle, where it catches that punchy P sound. the closest thing you could get to a P on a J is using the neck pickup soloed and adjusting your EQ from there

3. Interesting question. I wonder if a Tele-style P pickup, such as used on the Fender Sting bass, or the Duncan single coils (SCPB-x) would do the trick.

Link to SD Single Coil for P

The P and J pickups are designed differently, which is part of the tone difference. The other part is the location on the body. You would be putting a single coil P into the J neck location... results unknown.

I've never heard a single coil P type, so that may not be the tone, no matter where it is located. Also, these are going to hum because they are single coil.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out Dimarzio pickups.

Thats pretty much just what you want.

I think Bart also makes something similar, but I dont know much about Barts.

Peace
    Nick

5. Keh

Keh

Aug 30, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the responses guys!

snaggletooth, holding a MIM J and P side by side, the neck pickup on the J is in almost the same location as the top-half of the split P pickup. I'm guessing that the 1/2" - 1" difference in placement wouldn't make too much difference, but I could be wrong.

Cool, I've never seen the Sting bass, I'll take a look at one if I get the chance. I'll also check out the SCPB-x, thanks!

bgavin, isn't it possible to make a humbucking pickup with the J shape though? I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily have to be single coil in order to fit the J shape.

Nick man, thanks for the heads-up, I'll check them out. Do you have any particular models in mind?

I suppose I could always get the body routed for a genuine P pickup, but I guess I am more curious about why it has to have that shape. :)

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually I'm checking it out right now online.....

www.DiMarzio.com

DiMarzio Model J DP123

Thats what I found on the wesite.

They come in both cream and black, and are true humbucking pickups with the coils placed side by side.

The single coil P that bgavin was mentioning is not what you are looking for. Its a completely different sound.

Peace
    Nick

7. I bought a pair of DM Model J because they are side-by-side humbuckers. One coil handles E-A and the other coil handles D-G strings. DM also makes the 4 wires available externally, so I can wire the pickup with a Series/Parallel switch, same as my RB5.

I had a conversation with Bill Lawrence who explained the fundamental differences between the P and J pickup designs. The P is short, big coils, highly efficient and low flux leakage. The J has tall skinny coils, not so efficient, and higher flux leakage. The position influences the tone, I'm sure, but the fundamental design influences it also. I was never able to get a convincing P tone from my RB5 (J) so I bought a P.

8. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Bruce hit it on the head ..... The size and the shape of the coils are completely different, hence they have different sounds.

9. John,

That Hot P I got from you sounds very nice in the MIM P.

I've made some MP3 doing the Before and After thing, but screwed up by not taking a sample with the same strings.

I changed out the pickup and installed a set of TI Flats at the same time, so I don't have a genuine comparison of just the pickup change. I'll go back and install the old 7250M Fender rounds long enough to make a sample MP3.

Link to Bass Tones

If you have a used QP you can loan me, I'll drop it in and make a recording of that also.

:D