Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lucent, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Lucent

Lucent

Feb 9, 2003
    Austria
    Hi all!

I've got a PJ-Bass with Bartolinis (passive).
    The volume knobs work fine for each of the pickups but in combination it's odd. When one PU is at max and I increase the vol. of the other, there is nothing until the very last millimeter.
    So I can just have one PU or both. It is not possible to mix them.

Apart from that the J-PU alone is louder than both PU's together.
    The P-PU alone is softer in volume and about the same volume as having both PU's turned up. PU-to-string distance is not the reason.

The conn. at the potis is the same for the two PU's, that is, in parallel. The polarity seems to be ok, not reversed.

My guess is it's the wiring of the P-PU.
    The two halves of the P-PU seem to be wired in series:On the P-Bartolini
    one half-PU has 4 'pins'. One pair of hot and cold of the E/A-string PU is shorted (connected), the other hot/cold-pair is connected with a hot/cold-pair of the D/G-string PU. The last hot/cold of the D/G-PU goes to the potentiometer.

Is this the way a P-PU should be wired?

Any other ideas what the reason could be?
    Is it possible that the poti's being linear ones (not log./audio) could be the reason?

Thank you for your recommendations!

Lu

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

First, you should never use linear pots for a passive bass.
    The effects you describe are symptomatical.
    Then, I'd really recommend a volume/balance wiring instead of a volume/volume when you deal with 2 different pickups.

3. Lucent

Lucent

Feb 9, 2003
    Austria
    with a vol/balance wiring do I get the same output of the PU's as with a 2 vol. wiring? Especially when I have both PU's turned on? (I think someone told me once, it can just be 50% + 50%, as opposed to 100% + 100% with 2 vol. potis)

Can anyone tell me a good link showing the wiring scheme for vol/bal. (for passive P+J)

thank you!

Lou

4. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA