Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Pickups/5 strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Can P-Bass pickups work with 5-strings? It doesn't seem like it, but I thought i saw a 5-string bass with p-style pickups.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    A while ago, some parts maker -- I think it was Trev Wilkinson -- offered a conversion kit to make a 5-string out of a standard 4-string P-bass. It included a bridge with the 5th tuner, a nut, and a string anchor to be mounted on the headstock.

BP (or was is GP way back then?) installed one on a P, and reported they were pleasantly suprised that the D string really lost nothing in the translation. Apparently it went enough over BOTH coils that it got enough signal to stay balanced.

Of course, you have to have the coils spaced like on a standard P which limits the string spacing options. But it can be made to work.

I have seen newer 5-strings (unsure of mfr) with P-style pu's in which one coil is longer than the other -- that is, three strings on one coil and two on the other.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender is now producing a Squier 5-string P-bass and an American Deluxe P-bass 5 as well. I'd like to try out the American one if I could find one.

4. I've seen 5 string p-basses, but they don't have normal 4-string pickups. One of the P's are longer and has more magnetic dots, to pickup the extra string

5. The Squier 5 string P has what looks like a Jazz-shaped pickup. I've seen Pedulla 5 strings that have a P pickup. It seems like they just put the coils farther apart from each other (there is some overlap in a four string configuration).
    funkyc

6. I have a Sadowsky PJ5, which has a Jazz pickup in the bridge position and a set of Precision pickups in the neck position. Both pickups are the same width, but one of them has three sets of magnetic poles and one has two.

This design works REALLY well. My PJ5 sounds like a terrific old P-Bass when the pickup balance is rolled toward the P position, a terrific old Jazz when rolled to the J position, and something that combines the best of both when in the middle.

See: http://www.sadowsky.com/images/pj5.jpg

Mine is Olympic White with matching headstock, and looks just like the one on the left, except it has the standard, (rather than reverse P) pickup setup like the one on the right.