Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P player comes home.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JB Lars, Mar 6, 2004.

1. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    A little backstory: I used to play an ESP P-clone in Fiesta Red that I adored, but had to sell in a tight money pinch back in '93. Not too long after that, I stopped actively playing bass. Fast forward to '98, when I bought a MIM Active Jazz. I was blown away by the depth and range of that bass, but over time I became annoyed by the weight of the beast as well as the neck shape. Most importantly, for all the sounds she could make, it still didn't sound like the bass in my head, y'know? So my eye started to wander.

I found a NOS Steve Harris P that was a blast to play, but I just couldn't get over all the extra Iron Maiden goodies on the headstock. I mean, yeah, Up The Irons!, but not if I'm playing some Gram Parsons.

Then I stumbled upon an '86 MIJ P at Guitar Center. She's what you might euphemistically call "a real player". Lotsa buckle rash, gouges in the paint, minor gouges in the neck, only 4 screws holding in the wrong pickguard, so that when I plugged 'er in, the weight of the cable pulled the 'guard away from the body.

Needless to say, I fell in love instantly, traded the MIM in, and brought this ugly duckling of an MIJ home. Aside from a new pickguard, I may or may not make additional mods. All I know right now is that she plays the way I like and sounds the way I like.

My name's Justin, and I play a Fender Precision Bass. :D

(But if anyone sees a late-80s ESP P in Fiesta Red, lemme know, huh?)

2. glad you found what you like.

Pictures?:)

3. You can never go wrong with a good P-bass :)

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Hell yeah! 'specially if they're beat to hell.

the 80's MIJ stuff is great, btw. :bassist:

5. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Sadly, no pictures yet, as I have no digital camera. If can figure out a way to show you all this beauty as she is right now, I'll jump on it.