1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-position: What are my options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Jan 10, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I'll try and make this brief:

My number one bass is a Road Worn Precision and my backup is a '55-reissue MJT (like Sting's).

I also have this amazing Coral Red MJT '62-reissue P, but I find myself not playing it much because the Road Worn really covers my traditional P needs.

I've been contemplating trying something different altogether with it. I don't wanna P/J or it anything - I don't do the J thing - just something in that sweet spot P position.

The coolest thing that jumps to mind is a DarkStar, like on the Lakland basses, but I don't think I could ever afford one of those.

Any thoughts on what else I could put there? Not averse to routing or active, BTW, but I would prefer passive.

2. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    TV Jones Thunderblade is supposedly excellent in that position. Custom Shop seems to think so, if you look at the Cabronita basses.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've always wanted to try the Aluma Lace P pickups... totally different.

4. maybe try like the new Mustang model and put a Fender mudbucker in there

5. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    I've been considering doing this with a P bass for a while now. I even have the pickup. I should give it a try just as an experiment...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021