1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pup position on PJ Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattpnolan, May 2, 2006.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I know there has already been threads about pickup position/placement, but I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me by posting pics of PJ Jazz-style basses with the P pup in different positions.

For example:

Warmoth seems to like it closer to the J bridge pup:
    jbass_4.

this Fender japan has it a little closer to the neck:
    [​IMG]

I ask, because I am thinking of building a PJ bass with no pickguard (my random posts about this are everywhere ;) ), just control plate, and I know it will look best if the P pickup is closer to the neck, putting some space in between it and the control plate. There may be a reason why I haven't seen this yet. It may just look ugly :smug:

Thanks!

2. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Warmoth places the pup routing about where it is on a Precision body. The Aerodyne and the Hoppus seem to place it closer to the neck while the Reggie Hamilton seems to be about where Warmoth puts it.

I have a Hoppus bass as well as a Warmoth PJ. Given the different bodies, necks, and all the other variables that make a bass, I have had the same pups in both and my unscientific guess is that the pup placement difference does make a slight difference. The Warmoth placement gives me the mid range I recognize as a Precision.

If you're not going with a pickguard, have you thought of rear routing it and not having a control plate to worry about?

3. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks. That is helpful, especially about the sound. My idea was two combine two basses I want, a jazz-style bass with just the control plate like this,

[​IMG]

and a PJ bass. Like I said I don't think it's going to work now. I think that to look nice, the bottom part of the P (right side) would have to be were the bottom of the neck J pup normally is.

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Hoppus bass

[​IMG]

Reggie Hamilton

[​IMG]

5. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was just thinking that a reverse P might work, but do they do that on 4-strings?

[​IMG]

6. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    So I've been reading and researching about the Reverse P and have found many examples of them done on 4-strings (as many times as I've seen Spectors, I never noticed it was reversed :p ), but will Warmoth route for a Reverse P?