1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pups into a J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elaskimo, Jul 22, 2002.

What is your favorite of the below?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2002.
  1. Carrots

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Potatoes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Celery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elaskimo

Elaskimo Guest

Feb 23, 2002
    Washington
    Hmm... I wonder if this should go in this forum... oh well.

Anyway, I'm considering taking some P pups I have sitting around and putting them in a new J bass I got recently... so sorta making it into a Jazz Bass Special. Now, I understand that I would have to cut out the pickup cavity with a router, but, my main question is, could I cut the pickguard to fit the new pickups? Or am i delusional and I need to get a custom pickguard?

Also, I know Fender does all their P-J setups on P basses, so I was wondering if the fact that I'm going to stick the hardwear in a Jazz body and electronics setup is going to make the sound different than it would be in a P bass body.

Also, would it be smarter to go with the original Jazz electronics setup with the two independent volume pots or if i should take the oppurtunity to switch to the Master Volume / Blend setup.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and... please don't complain if I should have put this in the setup forum, it has to do with pickups primarily. So there