Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P pups into a J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elaskimo, Jul 22, 2002.

What is your favorite of the below?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2002.
  1. Carrots

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Potatoes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Celery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elaskimo

Elaskimo Guest

Feb 23, 2002
    Washington
    Hmm... I wonder if this should go in this forum... oh well.

Anyway, I'm considering taking some P pups I have sitting around and putting them in a new J bass I got recently... so sorta making it into a Jazz Bass Special. Now, I understand that I would have to cut out the pickup cavity with a router, but, my main question is, could I cut the pickguard to fit the new pickups? Or am i delusional and I need to get a custom pickguard?

Also, I know Fender does all their P-J setups on P basses, so I was wondering if the fact that I'm going to stick the hardwear in a Jazz body and electronics setup is going to make the sound different than it would be in a P bass body.

Also, would it be smarter to go with the original Jazz electronics setup with the two independent volume pots or if i should take the oppurtunity to switch to the Master Volume / Blend setup.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and... please don't complain if I should have put this in the setup forum, it has to do with pickups primarily. So there